Canon AE1 - repair/salvage

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by nyoung, Mar 21, 2007.

1. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A coworker asked today if I knew of any one who would be willing to try to fix a Canon AE1.
    I thought maybe someone on the forum might have a lead. He says he has four AE1 bodies - all broken in one way or another - that he would be interested in having salvaged and rebuilt into one or possibly two working cameras.
    Money will probably be a limiting factor and I know that he would be better off to get another one off E-bay.
    Nevertheless, if someone has a name he can contact I'd like to let him get into the game and figure all that out for himself.

2. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The labor of someone skilled (e.g. AE1REPAIR@AOL.COM) would outweight the value of the bodies. You can get ecent ones for $50 or less these days. Sometimes with the lens.

You can't have mine, of course.

3. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree with bjorke, it's simply cheaper to replace the broken cameras rather than fixing them. There's plenty of cheap, used film cameras on ebay, photo.net and sometimes even craigslist that it just makes sense to buy another when one stops working (unless you have a Leica). I remember seeing a used AE1 with a 50mm lens for sale for $75 on ebay a few months ago; extremely tempting but I need a SLR with AF so that it'll work with my lenses.

If your friend needs a replacement Canon SLR, let me know since I have a really nice and hardly-used Elan 7N with vertical grip for sale.

4. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cameras on ebay aren't always in perfect shape. So you might end up needing to have those repaired anyways.

5. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I would suppose that it depends on what is wrong with them. I know of a local camera repair shop who would certainly look at the cameras and give an estimate of repair cost. I don't know where you are located and what the postage might be to get them there. If you want, PM me and I can give you the address/phone number. He doesn't have a website.

6. airgunr

airgunr Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    KEH repaired my old AE-1 and did a good job of it and it ran about $120 for a full rebuild.

That being said you will pay around $100 for one in E+ condition from Cameta, KEH, Adorama, ETC. You might want to consider trading the whole lot in to KEH or Cameta and putting then $ to a new one.

7. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the money is not an issue I would go for the repair. These cameras have certain little problems that crop up because of age. Buying another one will still leave you open to these problems.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

8. jnash67

jnash67 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    http://www.garryscamera.com/ fixed two of my Canons. An AE-1p and an A-1. The program just had the sqwauk, but the A-1 had some issues, like the "on" switch was always on. He was able to fix it with parts from a donor A-1. Both cameras cost 116 bucks.

9. Shmoo

Shmoo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just had 2 repaired at Eric's cameras in Glendale, CA. Costs a lot (close to $200), but they're sentimental for me (my very first camera). Mine had shutter sticking issues and the ISO dial was stuck...but when you love that camera... :smile: