Canon Angle Finder "C" : any opinions ?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Laurent, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's an item I've always thought I'd buy some day, and that may be right now...

There's one offered for a price I find OK (about €150, the last time I checked the new ones were sold over 300) in my local shop.

I did no try it yet, and would be happy to hear about how useful you find it (I already missed some shots due to not being able to get low enough to compose what I wanted) and how comfortable it is.

EDIT : forgot to mention I plan to use it on an EOS3

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I had one. It'd be great for macro stuff also. Indeed, I'm about to post a thread about waist level finders, I'm curious about any users out there.

I can't believe how expensive these angle finders are though! B&H has one for $179.95 (US)

..... UPDATE ......

Hey, so it turns out my WLF thread touches on some similar ground. I'm curious about these angle finders and their suitability for holding at "waist's length", so to speak. What's the view like & is accurate focusing possible from a distance?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  3. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I bought it (in fact the wife got it for me, so I've to wait till she gets back home).

Yes, I expect it to be great for macro works. In fact, it's the main reason why I bought it, the second being that my GAS strategy is to buy things I really need. In this case, I know there are several shots I did not do because I could not do the setup as needed, so this tool might help.

I don't think it'll be OK for a WLF though, but I'm eager to see the 1.25 magnification factor.

4. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There have been many times when I wished I had one to use for those times the camera was on a tripod and just in an awkward position. Not for macro work, either, but normal landscape or still life stuff. I would definitely like to have one in my camera bag for those 1% of the shots in which I would find it useful. :smile:

5. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After a few tests, with hand held camera, this is a very useful device, but it is less comfortable than the normal viewfinder.

The quality of view is VERY sensitive to the eye's position and alignment, and the diopter needs to be properly adjusted, but it makes focusing very precise (especially when using the 2.5x magnification).

I confirm it is 100% useless for a WLF substitute.