Canon AV 1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mr.canon, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Mr.canon

Mr.canon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found a few of those here in holland. But i really know nothing about them. How are they to handle and what are the problems to look out for? There is something sexy retro about them. Don't know what. Would be great in my bag next to my EOS 5 :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Mr.canon

Mr.canon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. Carl V

Carl V Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The only thing I would say is that bearing in mind this camera dates back to the early 1980's, you'd almost certainly need to replace the light seals if they haven't already been done. I don't know of any specific problems relating to the AV-1, but the fact that it is auto-only (aperture priority) would put me off buying it, although it's fine as an additional body if you have manual equivalents.

As this model will be dependent on battery power, I'd check on how easily available the batteries are to get hold of.

5. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    And this camera can't share lenses with the EOS cameras.

7. Mr.canon

Mr.canon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thought that but that isnt really a problem, as i just want to use it as point and shoot :D

8. Mr.canon

Mr.canon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As for the seals will see. Are there other models wich are a bit better? So with that i mean not full auto? Not looking for a modern type cam.

9. Carl V

Carl V Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Personally, I'd rather have an AE-1 which is both auto and manual, or the later model called the AE-1 Program. Again this dates back to the early to mid-1980's, but is certainly more versatile than the AV-1.

Alternatively, you can pick up an A-1 which was Canon's flagship A-series SLR at the time of production. This will offer full manual, aperture and shutter priority, and program whereby it will set both shutter speed and aperture for you. The A-1 was introduced in the late 1970's, so again the light seals will need checking.

Both the AE-1 Program and A-1 were very popular cameras and when you come across one in good working order, you'll certainly enjoy using them.

10. andres

andres Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one of these. Works perfectly well. The "backlight compensation button" didn't work at first, but it was a easy fix. Haven't replaced any seals, because it doesn't seem to have any lightleaks. Works only in aperture-value mode, but it's the mode I use the most on my EOS 30 aswell, so no problems there. Great for point and shoot.

11. zeta3

zeta3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the A1 and love it - when the mirror develops the squeek, it needs oiling. Batteries are still readily available and are mainstream (at least I havent had a problem finding them). The final development of the A series was the T90 which was their last before the EOS. I recommend the T90 for the spot meter, faster top shutter speed and built in motor. Then again I still love the A1 and the AV1 is similar. The FD lenses are so cheap its a joke. The 85 1.2 was sold recently for less than $500 recently. The 50 1.4 is usually around $50.

12. Mr.canon

Mr.canon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I watched further on the internet and indeed i found the AE-1 much better.

13. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Regarding potential problems, well used A-series cameras sometimes suffer from 'Canon Cough', AKA mirror bearing failure. The A-1 seem especially prone, perhaps because they were used more intensively, but all A models can get the squeak, which becomes progressively worse until the mirror slows and finally fails.
    Repair is possible but probably not cost effective compared to hooking another body. There's a kit available on ebay, a hypo with oil, but it treats the symptoms not the cause. That said the AV-1 is a neat camera, aperture priority automated but with exposure compensation and it takes the FD lens range which are still a bargain.

14. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The T90 also has Matrix Metering as the N8008s and the F-4

15. Luc More

Luc More Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AV-1 potential problems

Very true. But apart from that there's little to worry about. The battery door on the AE-1 Program and even more so on the AL-1 QF is prone to break easily though. Not the case on other models. One of my 3 AV-1's is draining batteries too fast (probably the switch is constantly feeding the AE circuit). Light seals don't seem to be an issue, I have 9 bodies in the A series and none have had new seals as far as I'm aware but none have any light leaks.

The AV-1 is actually one of my favorites in this series, despite its lack of manual controls. I prefer to have aperture priority rather than shutter priority any day. With the A-1 I can have both but the controls are more awkward on that body. The only things I sometimes miss on the AV-1 is the DOF preview and AE lock. It has the backlight compensation button though which is a quick and quite unique way to do what you need to do in such cases.

Still looking for some FD glass... 24mm or wider, prices are going up :pouty:

16. danegermouse

danegermouse Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a range of fd bodies including regular use of my ae-1 program and new f-1. the canon squeal is easily sorted as it is a mirror lubrication issue rather than a major fault. the av-1 is certainly less than the ideal as far as the manual focus canon cameras go but very neat little body. if you are keen on getting into the fd bodies i would go for the f-1 as it is easily the best of all. having said that, the a series are a great entry into the system and are very cheap and reliable. if you know you can get a working one cheap, then get it. you can always extend the kit (at minimal cost) if you take a liking to it.

dane.

17. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Canon FTb a lot (fully Manual from the times of Rome)

18. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have three T90 bodys and matrix metering is news to me, and Luigi Colani who designed it too, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_T-90#Metering although it was about twenty years ahead of it's time it wasn't that advanced :smile:

19. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe I made a mistake inadvertently. Sorry. I still love my T90 and I think it has an exceptional meter.