Canon Ec-S screen on EOS 3

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by 2F/2F, Mar 6, 2010.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I just got an EOS 3 today. Nice camera. I want to get the Ec-S screen for it. I notice that it is not listed as being for the EOS 3, however.

1. Will it install into the EOS 3?
    2. If it installs, will it auto focus?
    3. Can the camera be set to have an accurate meter with this screen? (I normally abhor in-camera meters, but will likely want to use the spot pattern from time to time.)

Thank you in advance.

2. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It will autofocus because this is independent from the screen.
    It will probably install since the 3 and the 1 series share the same screens, the Ec series.
    Regading the exposure, I guess you will have to try. You might be able to link some information from the 1D manual for this screen to a screen listed for the EOS3.

What's wrong with the standard screen of the 3?

3. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    from http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200511/report.html:

Looks like an additional exposure compensation is necessary or a trip for recalibration the meter.

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That description by Canon is exactly my problem. It only talks of the screen in terms of the digital cameras.

The stock focusing screen, and all of the optional ones except the Ec-S, only show the depth of field of f/2.8 (or even smaller apertures, in the case of the screens designed for even slower lenses), yet any lens I will be using on the camera will be faster than f/2.8. I always try to switch to this type of focusing screen if it is available for the camera. I prefer my focusing screen to have as thin a depth of field as possible. I even want to custom install one of the type S screens for the 40D and 50D into my 10D.

My guess is that the screen will install, will autofocus, but will not meter properly.

5. WFisherPhoto

WFisherPhoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey there. I'm interested to know how it went using the EC-S on the EOS 3. Thanks.

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never got to it. I have never got 100 percent verification from anyone working in a camera store that the 1Ds screens will fit an EOS 3, nor have I been able to find one in stock at a local store. But I have not contacted Canon yet. I haven't really pursued this with gusto. Sorry.

7. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, they'll fit fine but the metering will be off a bit. Just adjust the EC a bit, no biggie.

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you have one in an EOS 3?

9. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No but they use the same focus screens as my 1-series bodies so I'm confident they'll fit and work.

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So am I. But this is a later screen, and I don't want to spend the money until I hear someone with authority describe exactly what I am getting myself into. I will contact Canon eventually. Not a priority right now. Thanks for the input.

11. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I had the EOS 3 I had the EC-CIV installed. It shows focus much better than the stock screen and didn't need any exposure compensation. Don't know if it is relevant and can't tell about the DOF preview, I hardly used it.

12. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am curious about that screen too. It sounds brighter than the Ec-S, but I am not sure if it shows any less D of F than the EOS 3's stock focusing screen.

13. WFisherPhoto

WFisherPhoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just ordered two (for my two EOS 3s). I'll come back to let you know how it goes. Really hoping the metering effect is minimal.

14. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two EC-S screens or two EC-CIV screens?

15. WFisherPhoto

WFisherPhoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, I bought the EC-S. Thinking I may try the EC-CIV as well.

16. FlorianR

FlorianR Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since I bought a used Canon EOS 3 a few weeks ago I'm very interested in changing the focusing screen, since the standard screen doesn't allow for a good DOF preview with lenses faster than 2.8.
    The EOS 3 behaves different as my Olympus OM 2, which gives a correct DOF preview even with a 1.8 lens.
    at WFisherPhoto: Did you already install the EC-S focusing screen?

17. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just installed the EC-s on my 1V ... haven't run a roll through it yet, but dry firing, it seems to focus my 1.2 lens just fine. We shall see... How is the EOS 3 different? Sizing?