Canon EF electrical problem

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Alan W, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Manual shutter speeds are good,electrical speeds do not work.The light meter is dead..is it worth having repaired,has anyone got any suggestions or recommendations for a repair man?I love the camera,but wonder if there are any canon repair men around who would tackle this.Thanks for suggestions,Alan.

2. shutterboy

shutterboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1 series?

3. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Canon EF,from the '70's-1973 I think. The only one I know of"The Black Beauty"

4. frank

frank Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a possibility which offers a simple solution: the wire on the back of the battery chamber has corroded through and is not connected anymore.

5. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    EF is also the name of Canon's lens line for their autofocus EOS system cameras. On the EOS lenses, EF stands for Electronic Focus.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an EF that I spent far more than it's commercial value on to have it completely serviced a couple of years ago and I've never regretted it because I consider it an investment in my future pleasure, since I have no intention of ever selling it.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To make the list complete: EF also means (inbuilt) Electronic Flashlight on some Konica cameras.

8. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    They can be had in working condition for $60 to $70. I know...they are all old but a cla is going to be more viable than electronics repair + cla

sent from phone. excuse my typing.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's true but in the context of the year it was first manufactured 1973 E.F meant "Electronic F" because it was a hybrid shuttered AE capable similar version to the original canon F1 that had a lot of facilities the purely mechanical F1 of that era lacked, like shutter priority AE and a full range of mechanical shutter speeds from 1/30sec to 1000/ sec if the batteries failed, and 125/sec flash sync speed, it was a camera that many pro F1 users bought as a backup at the time

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  10. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Like most on here I don't really need another camera,but this one "feels" right and I wouldn't mind having it back in working condition,I'll take the baseplate off and see if there is an obvious battery wire problem,if anyone has used a Canon fd camera repair man in the U.S. I'd be obliged for the contact number-thanks

11. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It does use two batteries, one for display/meter and one for electronic shutter/auto exposure.

12. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From memory (it's been a while) the electronic speeds are controlled by a ceramic circuit board on the left top end of the camera. Back in the day when I was a camera tech we would often find them with small cracks through the boards, and they are impossible to fix...

Sorry to say 20 years ago we used to have to put the line "parts no longer available" on the repair quotes........

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I never saw a ceramic circuit board. Only those phenol-resin papers, epoxy textiles or those foils.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  14. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might try Ken Oikawa, who is a retired Canon repair tech who specializes in Canon FL and FD cameras. He even has a supply of NOS parts. No idea if he services the EF, but no hurt in asking. He's in California and his phone is: 951-246-9136.

Just be aware that English is not his native language, so phone calls can be a bit difficult.

Jim B.

15. Charles Wass

Charles Wass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly uses two batteries. I always wondered how they were used and so I have just checked. One battery alone will operate the slow speeds, but both are required to operate the metering and battery check. Hence the problem could be a corroded wire.