Canon F-1N (New F-1) Viewfinder Shutter Speed Readout

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Sep 17, 2009.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, all,

I received another beauty today from KEH: my second F-1n (i.e. latest version). I noticed that the shutter speed readout is different in this camera. It does not have red or green numbers--as my other F-1n does. Instead, it has white numerals. The numerals also appear to be displayed at a slight angle. I looked at the serials on the cameras. I guess they changed this feature somewhere within the production span. Any input or comments on this?

2. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine is the 1981 model of the F1n. That is the last year of them. It is the same year that the F1N came out also. Mine has the white numerals also so it is probably close to the same time of manufacture.
    I got the speed finder and the power winder for mine and it IS my favorite (well except maybe my A1 with the MA power winder)
    There also is a group here in APUG who deal with FD products. Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  3. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The F1n changed to white numeric LED display in late 1980 and continued until production of the F1n ceased.

(a great camera by the way! i have the F1n with red LED, circa 1980)

Andrew Kirkby
    Canon Australia

4. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I thank you for the input. Perhaps I erred in describing my camera bodies. Both of my bodies are the latest version of the F-1. Perhpaps I should have said "F-1N" instead of F-1n"? Indeed, mine is the "new" F-1. I have seen confusion about this naming convention before. Thus, I would appreciate any further details in regard to the F-1 timeline and the various changes found therein. Also, do you notice the slight slant to the white readout?

I have the AE Motor FN and the AE Winder FN. These are excellent pieces of equipment, and they make the F-1N into a world-class camera. Even the widely praised T90 (which would seem a nice camera) does not have a vertical release. Even the winder (not just the more expensive motor drive) for the F-1N has a vertical release. How did Canon overlook this on the T90? I have the standard prism on both of my bodies.

I appreciate the tip on the Canon FD group.

5. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F1 and the F1n came out with mechanical shutters I am not sure on the starting dates of the F1 and F1n and then in 1981 they stopped making the F1n and started the F1N with the electronic shutter. There is a lot of info on this Just "Google" the Canon F1 name.
    I think that my next G.A.S. episode I will be getting the F1N. :D :tongue:

6. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's the F series virtual museum.

7. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remove the Prism and see which one you have in each one. One is the 'eyelevel Finder' The other is the 'Ae FN Finder FN'

8. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh great. Another accessory I need to find for my FT QL Now I NEED to find the booster !!:D :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 2 F1N- AE bodys they are my main workhorses, IMHO for my purposes, after twenty years of using them, cameras don't get much better than this model.

10. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The generally accepted naming conventions for the Canon F-1 series are: F-1 (1971: 1st version of the Original F-1), F-1n (1976: 2nd version of the original F-1, note the "n" in lower case), and F-1N (1981: the New F-1). However, in practice, I have found that many people will interchange the upper and lower case Ns, so it is always necessary to double-check to see which flavor is actually being discussed. And to muddy things even further, occasionally I come across early F-1s that are labeled as F-1ns. It's almost as confusing as the situation with the Nikon F and its various finders. Bottom line: an accurate description or a good visual confirmation are usually necessary.

I hope to be buying an F-1n in the next couple of months, and I frequently browse eBay to see what they have. Sometimes I find that neither the photos nor the descriptions are sufficient to determine which version of the Original F-1 is for sale.

Michael

11. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should be noted that accessories for the first two versions are compatible with each other; none, as far as I know, are compatible with the third model (New F-1). Accessories for the New F-1 have 'FN' in the name, such as AE Finder FN, Motor Drive FN, etc.

I don't have the second model, and so have not a clue what was updated.

12. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, there is more interchangeability than you might think. The eyepiece rings interchange, for sure. But it is also possible to mount New F-1 finders onto Old F-1 bodies, although not vise versa. The fit isn't perfect, however (there's a gap in the rear at the bottom of the finder), and the eye relief appears to be different, so focusing isn't as easy. I've only tried this with the Eye-level Finder FN. The AE Finder FN probably won't fit, but the sport finder FN might.

Some of the differences between the F-1 and F-1n are: a plastic tip was added to the film advance lever, the film advance stroke was shortened, a memo holder was added to the back, ISO speeds were increased from 2000 to 3200, and the battery check/on-off switch was spring-loaded in the "C" position to avoid inadvertent battery drain.

Michael

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think at the time the confusion was caused because Nikon were manufacturing the Nikon F2, and Canon were unable to use that title for their updated models.

14. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There might be a confusion on the differences of the F1 models, but as far as I'm concern they're all great models. I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

Jeff

15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Canon always refers to the latest model as the "New" F-1, so I generally try to use that designation to avoid the usual confusion about the F-1n and "F-1N," which is a term that seems to have been invented by users and collectors.

I've updated the thread title.

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They didn't, they did make a vertical relese it was the T3, it was a button that screwed into the cable switch socket where the 60T3 fits, and was operated with the right little finger, at the time they could be ordered from Canon Pofessional, don't ask me where you can get one from now, they are rarer than hens teeth nowerdays, and sell for big bucks between $50 and $100

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree David, It is very confusing especally if you are new to the F1 and buying on ebay, (which I don't) where most of the sellers don't know what there selling, even in camera stores that sell used equipment, few of the staff know.

18. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's definitely not Canon terminology, but I suspect that it evolved among photo dealers who placed ads in publications like Shutterbug where ad space was always at a premium. "F-1n" takes up a lot less space than "original F-1, second version," and even "F-1N" takes up somewhat less space than "New F-1". Back in those days, most used camera dealers used these designations accurately. There was also the FTb and FTbn, that, even though these weren't Canon terms, most everybody knew what they meant. Less confusion with the FTb, though, but it served as, if not a precedent, at least a reinforcement.

Michael

19. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's a good point Michael. "F-1n" for the second version of the F-1, I believe, is Canon's term, but not "F-1N" for the third version.

20. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I thank all of you for the informative replys. I am on vacation right now, and my two F-1Ns and A-1 are seeing heavy use. This "all Canon" excursion has been quite enjoyable. It is the first time out for my 55/1.2 (non-asph). What a tank of a lens.

21. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have that lens on my FT and man what a workout. The heaviest combo that I have, except for my Mamiya but thats a different story there.