Canon F1 jaming film

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Craig, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up a Canon new F1 of E bay and it has a film transport problem. About every other roll of film I can go to about frame 4 and then everything jams up. When I open the back, the film has been folded with a nice sharp crease and stuffed between the take up spool and the sproket roller.

This happened twice today, even though I first put the film on the take up spool, and advanced the fim to make sure it was tight and then pulled the film across to make sure it stayed tight.

Is this a common problem with New F1's? I also have an original F1 and it has never had a problem, even though take up mechanisms look very similar. If it makes any difference I do not have a motor drive on this camera.

2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The takeup spool isn't turning. I have a camera (not a Canon) that is doing the same thing.

I assume it's something that I might be able to correct from below, but I haven't tackled it just yet.

The sprocket spool is still pushing the film but because the takeup spool isn't moving, the film is simply getting jammed into whatever space it can find.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's definitely not normal. I've had a New F-1 for close to 25 years now, and have never experienced that.

Mike Elek's explanation sounds likely. The camera probably needs service.

4. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, that makes sense. The frustrating thing is that it doesn't always do it, sometime the the film goes through beautifully. I'll look into the CLA options.

Any reccomendations for a good repair shop in Canada?

5. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might want to try Phototech Camera Repair Services off of Edmonton Trail at 38 Ave NE in Calgary. They advertise as an authorized Canon service facility -both analog and digital. I used them a couple of years ago to replace the mount on a Canon zoom lens and they did a good job. They are in the yellow pages.
    Regards
    Gord