Canon F100?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ChristopherCoy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What the Canon equivalent to Nikon's F100?

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nothing, Canon never made a camera as good as the F100. HA!

3. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ba-zing!

4. psychfunk

psychfunk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a very limited knowledge about AF Canons but I'd guess it's their top-of-the-line-at-the-time EOS 1N.

5. epig

epig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the EOS1 series are thought of like the F5, then the EOS3 could be their F100.

Eric

6. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I'm finding, the EOS3 looks to be the closest.

7. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd say the EOS 3, which is not built as well as the F100 but has some cool features the F100 doesn't have, like eye-controlled focus.

8. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How did Canon SLR's hold up and perform compared to Nikon models?

9. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny, but I never liked the AF Canons as much as the equivalent Nikons, like the F4/5 or F100. Having said that, I really like the older FD Canon like the EF and F1...so go figure. Just a personal thing but just didn't like the plasticky sort of feel to the EOS 3, but there are plenty of people who use and love them so the cameras are fine, as are the optics. I imagine the EOS1 would perform and last just as well as the F5 for example.

10. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know about anywhere else but the EOS 3 models are selling for very little money now. Usually less than £100 whilst a Nikon F100 is still fetching reasonable cash.

11. Ali-C

Ali-C Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The EOS 3 is roughly the equivalent of the F100, but if you're willing to spend a bit more I'd say go for the 1N/1V to be honest, they are a half body camera as standard powered by a 2CR5 battery (housed in the removable grip), or you can buy the motordrive which lets you use 8 AAs and gives you the vertical grip too. This is (imo) more secure than the grip on the F100 as it replaces the standard handgrip too, instead of just screwing into the bottom.

A good illustration is here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/EOS-1n/Basic-Info/indexA.htm

12. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chronologically and technologically speaking...

F4 ~ EOS 1
    F5 ~ EOS 1N-HS
    F100 ~ EOS 3
    F6 ~ EOS 1V

Trying to compare them feature-for-feature would be a waste of time. The F100 and EOS 3 were both great cameras, as was the Maxxum 7.

13. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a fair comparison, the F6 and the EOS 1V are no match for each other.

14. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F6 is WAY better... Right?

15. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Equivalent in the line up then it would be the EOS-3 for sure. As far as Nikon or Canon is better? I am a Nikon kind of guy so I think the Nikon is better but then it's not fair at all. I would say take your pick.

16. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The EOS3 has no Nikon equivalent as Nikon never incorporated ECF - Eye Control Focus. Used it for years and one of the best features about it was that I could midroll rewind an unfinished roll, put it back in and advance to the next unused frame perfectly each and every time. Like the Nikon F100, the EOS3 doesn't have a 100% viewfinder.

17. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SERIOUSLY? Midroll rewind, and auto advance??? That would be completely awesome!!!

18. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would be awesome. But that's beyond the camera's capabilities as the camera has no idea which particular film cassette you're putting in, and so only advances to frame 1. Only APS was capable of this, on account of its magnetic stripe. No idea if it actually did this, however.

19. Halka

Halka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Minolta Dynax 7 (probably 9 too) had the ability to wind to a specific frame, so you could basically juggle several films if you took care to note the last exposed frame on each container.

Also, wireless flash triggering using the inbuilt flash was pretty spiffy.

20. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EOS 1V.
    None of these high-spec cameras are required for insightful, creative and conceptually well visualised photography and are best left to gear freaks to tinker with — particularly the silly, gimmicky "eye controlled focus" of the blighted EOS 3.

I don't need anything other than my now very old EOS 1N.

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the eye controlled focus (on an Elan IIe and an Elan 7e - both of which I paid less than $50.00 for).

Of course, until very recently I never had any auto-focus, so take my comment with that in mind.

I would suggest to Christopher that the differences between all of the cameras listed in Fred's eight camera list are essentially refinements, and therefore the choice of what would be "best" for Christopher is most likely only determinable by Christopher.

22. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I still have my Canan EOS ElanII that my mom bought for me when I was in high school. It's been beat up, dropped, moved from place to place, and even did a stint in my sisters art classes when she was in high school.

I bought a battery for it some months ago and turned it on. The electronics work but the shutter goes "kssshhhhhhh CLICK"... Like its severely sticking somewhere. And after a few simultaneous clicks, it just sticks all together.

I'd like to get it repaired, but I'm afraid that the cost will be way way way more than I'm willing to pay.

23. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The midrange canon slr's were known for this sticky shutter syndrome. Especially if it sits a season or 3.

Google it and there may be a quick fix, I'm not sure as all my canons always get plenty of exercise. :heart:

24. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a repairman in Sparks NV who specializes in EOS and T90 repair. Last time I had work done it cost me $125, including return post. On the other hand, a functioning Elan IIe can be had for $25. I am not wealthy, but I would rather spend the money than toss the camera and try to find another without problems.

Edit: I should point out that the $125 buys a complete CLA, including cleaning the shutter and replacing the disintegrating shutter bumper.