Canon FD-mount cameras with mirror lockup?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by marylandphoto, Feb 25, 2010.

1. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, all. I'm looking for an FD-mount camera that had a mirror lockup feature. A few of the ones I looked at (notably the AE-1) do not have this. Which were the ones that did? Thanks.

2. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F1 has it as well as FT & FTb. There will be more I'm sure. I know these ones do because I have them in my book case in front of me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  3. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The EF too. All (or mostly all) of the original mount (breech lock) bodies had MLU. It works as it should too. Full manual. On command. Swing a lever. Mirror moves. Up or down. Same lever.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want a camera with mirror lock up for long exposures or macro the Canon EF is ideal it's hybrid electro-mechanical shutter can give timed exposures of up to 30 seconds and the build quality is the same as the F1, much better then the A series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_camera the only problem is there are not many about these days, and they are highly prized in good condition by FD enthusiasts, I would thoroughly recommend an EF.

5. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the help. Which cameras in the T series had the feature?

6. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I second the Canon EF, a truly wonderful camera! I find myself using mine a lot more than my F-1 these days.

Andy

7. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't believe any of the T series had it, certainly not the T90. As for the F-1, only the first and second versions had MLU; the New F-1 did not.

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    EF. I have one and I haven't really been giving it a lot of use....I guess I should.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You really should, I have an F1N AE, A T90 and FTbn and the EF is my favourite, I tend to use it as my main camera and carry one of the others as a back up, it's the smoothest of the lot, especially since it had a CLA recently, I particularly like the metal Copal Square shutter, 1/125th flash sync and the glossy black paint.

10. Vincenzo Maielli

Vincenzo Maielli Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My F-1n (last Old Type) and my FT-b QL have both the mirror locking up capability (i think also the Canon EF have this feature).
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My old F-1 and the FT-b QL also have ML, but I must admitt I don't use that feature that much.

Jeff

12. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hadn't been giving mine as much for awhile because I thought that my F-1 was my favorite between the two. While I absolutely love the F-1 (and I like its metering more), my EF has become one of the cameras I pick up the most (along with my OM-1n). I love everything about it. You really should spend a good bit of time using it.

Andy

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have most of the FD models and find the mechanism of the EF the smoothest of all.

14. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OH great !!. I do not have an EF and I can see another G.A.S. coming on. I have been pricing them out already and it seems doable. Just to let you know, my wife hates you all......

15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the time that they were made Canon said in it's marketing blurb that the EF was "particularly suitable for old people", I wish I hadn't waited until I was old to get one, there aren't many about these days in mint condition,

16. dances_w_clouds

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually send my cameras out for a CLA when I get them. I has saved me from some junk that are being sold as "Mint"

17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me Too, I'm not a camera collector, I need reliable equipment to use, having said that I don't buy a lot of gear.
    I collected my EF last week from being serviced, it looked like new, it was hard to believe it was made in August 1975.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010