Canon FTb Focus Screen(s)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by momus, Dec 27, 2013.

1. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Canon Ftb camera coming, which I assume will have the central, circular fresnel focus screen. I seem to remember, or misremember, that the later ones had a split prism screen. True, or am I confusing the FTb w/ the F1?

2. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have seen FTbN models with the split image screen. Even though I have many FTbNs, they all have a plain microprism screen. I bought a split image screen from an eBay seller but so far I haven't had it transplanted into one of my FTbNs. I have been told that it would also fit into an FTb. At about the same time that Canon offered te split image screen as an option, Nikon sold the Nikkormat FTNK wth the K screen. It was the later FTN with the black plastic covered selt fimer lever.

3. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Possible that a later version may have gotten the split prism but my FTB, the manual and the Canon Camera Museum - FTB show a "Microprism rangefinder at center of fresnel matte screen."

4. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have never seen an original FTb with anything other than the plain microprism. The FTbN has the blastic tipped film advance lever and shows the shutter speed in the corner of the viewfinder.

5. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As I figured, my memory is a little "creative". Thanks everyone. I used to have a FT QL (big!) and really enjoyed the build quality, so this FTb should be fun a lot of to shoot too.

6. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back in the 1970's at a Canon demo I was at, they had a few FTb's on the display that had split-image screens installed. I recall the factory rep telling me that Canon U.S.A could change a microprism screen FTb to a split-image screen if a person wanted. All you had to do was send it in. I suppose a good repair tech could do the switch today if he had the proper screen.

Jim B.

7. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had an FTBn, and it did not have a split prism screen.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You mix up fresnel- and microprism-lens.

9. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a FTbQL in 73 that had the split ring

10. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought it at the PX in Germany

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too. I like that camera!

Jeff

12. Charles Wass

Charles Wass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two FTbs and one FTbn, and all have microprisms, which fortunately I prefer to split prisms.

13. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, micro prism, not fresnel. I still haven't received the camera (seller had an unfortunate, unexpected visit to the emergency room right after I bought it), but it's shipped now, and should be here soon. Looking forward to shooting it. I miss my old FT QL. It had a dead meter, so it will be a change having an in-camera meter. The FTb will replace a very nice A-1 that I just couldn't get on with for some reason. Too many electronic features that just confused the shooting experience.

14. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As has been mentioned elswhere, the Canon Camera Museum website has many errors. I'm happy to have it as an extra reference though. A split image focusng screen from a Konica Autoreflex T3 can be transplanted into an Autoreflex T2 body but the T2 was never sold wth a split image screen. Once equipment leaves its manufacturer anything can happen to it. If you really like usng different screens the a Canon F-1 is very convenient. Cameras like tha AE-1 Program and the Nikon FE2 have interchangeable screens but changing them is more fiddly and there aren't as many choices.