Canon lenses

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by MartinCrabtree, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been looking around and you can find Canon glass at very reasonable prices nowdays. What 3 lenses would you recommend for general use? I know that's a lot of glass to cover but there must be three outstanding lenses that cover a great deal of ground without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

I guess it should say FD. FL stuff will work on my manual focus cameras also won't it?

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon fd glass is cheap and good.

3. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can't find a better bargain on a very good all-purpose 50mm lens than the venerable FD 50/1.8.

4. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    3 lenses - 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5. They will cover most of what you want to do

5. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless the lenses were mishandled by the previous owner, all Canon prime lenses are very good and usually available for a reasonable price.

But as far as outstanding lenses are concerned, Canon's - just like the other brand's outstanding lenses, do not come cheap. So what is your limit of breaking the bank?

If you don't have an idea what you're looking for, then perhaps a little research would help. Here are a couple of useful links:

6. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The 35-105 f3.5 is a great walk around zoom. Don't confuse it with the f3.5-4.5 though.

7. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second that (even if it does weigh as much as the camera!)

8. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nah. Only about half as much (maybe 3/4 as much) as my A-1 with Motor Drive. :wink:

9. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely look for an f/1.4 50mm in FD or the FL model. The MA power winder has them all beat with 12 AA batteries

10. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I had just a little dough for 3 Canon FD lenses they'd be the 35-105 mentioned several times ( great lens but lousy non-macro close focusing distance ) and a 50mm (1.4, 1.8, both are great) and then I'd save up my pennies for the 400mm f4.5 one of the best 400mm lenses ever made. Heavy, sharp, useful as a club in hand-to-hand combat.

11. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of the 30 plus years using Canon FD lenses, I've owned all prime lenses. When I started my Canon system, I was told by my photo mentor that zooms aren't as sharp as primes back then. I can't verify that fact. However, I own a Canon DSLR with newer zoom lenses are very sharp. Yes I occasionally shoot digital.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Canon FD 50mm f1.4 is aperture for aperture a much better than the 1.8 version, and I own both of them, I would also recommend the FD 35mm f2 and the FD 100mm f2.8 as a very useful three lens outfit.

13. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Ya -- you piqued my curiosity. The lens w/o filter, shade or caps weighed 600 grams on my kitchen scale , and the A-1 body with a bit of nylon strap included, but no battery or grip battery cover, weighed about 620. So my original comment, which was a guess, was pretty accurate. :whistling: It was my most used lens after I got it. (And also the most expensive lens I ever bought at the time -- I've since surpassed that!)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone. Especially for those links Les Sarlie,they really cleared up a few things.

Now another more specific question. The links do not cover the 55MM f1.2 SSC lens. I already have a couple 50MM f1.8 but this lens has always caught my eye. Do not know why but I'm interested. KEH has one for $349 in EX condition. Would it be a worthwhile purchase?

It's amazing what good glass can be had for now. Is eBay worth the effort? It seems as if the sellers are getting more and more sketchy as time goes on. That place use to be the online flea market but now not so much.

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the risk of repeating myself Martin the best bang for your buck in the Canon FD 50mm lenses is the 1.4 which was the industry standard that aperture for aperture outperforms the rest of the range, anyway nobody needs a f1.2 lens unless they photograph black cats in coal cellars :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  17. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FD 55/1.2 is a beast, meaning it's big and heavy. Build quality though, is top-notch. Optically, because it uses ordinary spherical elements, it's soft wide-open. You'll need to stop down to about F2.8 to get a razor-sharp picture. Still, there's something undeniably cool in having this lens mounted on the front of a Canon FD camera.

Jim B.

18. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends if you want to improve your photography or your street cred. then.

19. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As f1.2 lenses go, it would seem that the Canon's have the best value going. I only have this in a Pentax and Minolta lens but I would anticipate the quality of their build and their outstanding results compared to their f1.8 & f1.4 stablemates will be the same for Canon. That being said, they provide unmatched ability to isolate subject matter and typically better bokeh.

KEH's warranty makes any purchase worry free and it has been my experience that they usually underrate their items.

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would look up KEH also.

Jeff

21. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I currently own and use the 55mm f/1.2 lens. A good lens it is but I have found a few that are quite worth having and using as well. The Canon FL 50mm f/1.4 is one of my favorites as well as the FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC lens. Investing your money in a superior (?) lens might not be a good investment when their is other Canon glass to be had for less. My next investment would be the 85mm FD lens but it is out of my budget limitation for now.

22. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 85mm f/1.8 is a gorgeous lens. The shots are amazing wide open. Beautiful bokeh. A bit heavy though.

23. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    KEH has the 85MM f 1.8 for $205 in EX and $159 BGN condition if that works for you.

I guess I'll stick with the 50MM f1.8 for now and puck up a wide angle and big tele. I can see this going like the motorcycle obsession. Got 4 of those that run and parts enough to build a few more.

24. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most Canon FD glass is affordable. Fluorite glass still fetches high prices. I still can't afford one though they sell for a fraction since the 80's. But Some day ....

25. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FD aspherical lenses still go for top-dollar too.

Jim B.

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think in the final analysis of ones work the viewer gives a shit if the image was shot with a Fluorite,aspheric lens, or a bottle bottom, they care more about if your pictures "say" anything to them, the worship of equipment for it's own sake is futile, photography is about pictures.