Canon P and Jupiter 8 or 3?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by delac027, Aug 19, 2010.

1. delac027

delac027 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello everyone, new to this forum! I've got a Canon P paired with a Canon 35mm 1.8 LTM which is a great setup, but the 35mm frame lines on the canon P are very hard to see especially when im shooting with glasses. Im thinking of selling the 35mm and getting a Jupiter 8 or 3 to make use of the 50mm framelines. Does anyone shoot with one of these lenses on their P? How do you like it?

Here is a picture of my Canon P with the 35mm 1.8 and a sample photo as an intro to the forums!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Removed Account2

Removed Account2 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never sell that Canon lens, that is a serious sin you will pay for, for the rest of your life!

Besides a JUpiter is so durn cheap, you can easily afford to keep both, just forego a pint or 3 on the pub and you're all set!

I have a Canon P also, and your post inspired me to bring it out, to support the Canonet f:1,9 i loaded today.... (I have Leitz lenses to support it, another deadly sin if sold.....)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Erik. Keep the Canon P and buy the Jupiter. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could there be a means to make those framing lines more visible?

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sell the Canon to me, cheap, and use the money for Jupiter. :D

6. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I had a P a few years ago, and the 35mm lines were hard to see without glasses. But the P is a wonderful camera and worth the trouble.

Is it just me, or is the second picture very typical of 1950s/60s Canon LTM lenses? Very saturated colors, yet a slightly retro look.

7. delac027

delac027 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes the 35mm frame lines make my eye have to do a panoramic type move from left to right! I will probably just pick up a Jupiter 8 on the cheap and give it a try. I'm still getting used to getting the right exposure with the P without a light meter which can be hit or miss at times, but i do love the look that the 35mm gives me. I really need to try and shoot some B&W through it as i've read the 35mm 1.8 yields great results with B&W.

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where are you located, delac027? That shot could be L.A.

Is the shutter curtain wrinkled at all?

9. delac027

delac027 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    close, im actually in SD...yes there's a little bit of wrinkle in the shutter curtain, id be lucky if there wasn't!

10. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You call South Dakota close to LA? I spent a lot of time in 'Dego when I was in the Navy and took a lot of great pics of the area but alas they are all gone.

11. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like the images produced by the J-8, but I don't like how easy it is to knock the aperture awry. The aperture ring has no detents. I suggest an Industar-61, which has aperture detents.

12. delac027

delac027 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for the input! I never knew about industar-61, i will look into it!

13. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I concur with everyone else. Do not sell that Canon 35mm/1.8. There are not many of them left in good condition and people are just beginning to realize what a beautiful performer it is. Your photo is a typical example of the 35mm/1.8 (or 2.0) character. Really an exceptional little lens.

Jupiter-8 or Industar-61 are nice 50mm lenses for your Canon P - but don't expect stellar performance wide open and close. The focus is *probably* off a little if the lens have not been shimmed. This is because FSU lenses are made according to the Contax LTM standard, not Leica standard. Expect to pay something like $50 for a nice Jupiter-8. Add $100 and you can get the Canon 50mm/1.8 which is my favourite lens with Canon P.

14. goamules

goamules Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I concur about keeping the Canon 35/1.8. I just used one on a IVSB on a trip to Europe, and am amazed at the sharpness.

[​IMG]
    rightclick, view image, to see larger