Canon to Stop Making SLRs

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Travis Nunn, May 25, 2006.

1. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Note that they are not stopping production of film-based SLRs, just they will cease development of NEW film-based SLR designs. Which is still somewhat depressing, but not nearly as bad as the Nikon/Konica-Minolta news.

3. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To be quite honest, as long as there is film being made, I don't care too much. The film camera market was heavily oversaturated and digital just quickened the pace of such things.

When you consider the thousands of film SLRs currently on eBay, needs of those who want one can be filled.

What's too bad is that us who choose to stay with film don't get all the newest advancements that could be made later on.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Over a year ago they announced that they weren't going to introduce any new film cameras. I'm not sure there's anything new in this latest announcement.

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does not look to be anything new, other than what I read a long time ago, they will not develop new cameras, but will continue to sell the models they currently have.

R.

6. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, you can always switch to the Nikon F6. I'm sure that will be their last film SLR.

7. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For myself I am completely satisfied with the technology already available in film cameras. I would like to believe that new lenses will continue to be designed and sold for film cameras. Mostly though, I am concerned that film and paper will become increasingly expensive and that further refinements will cease.

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are not stopping production, they are stopping research and development. To be honest I can't see what improvements could be made to a modern SLR, the lenses yes, but not the bodies. Nikon had the right idea with the FM3A. But they shot themselves in the foot and ceased provduction of it.

9. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I must have missed that one. This is the first I've heard of it.

10. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How true ... I was in the market for a new FM3A and alas... Depressing.

M/.

11. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    they sold 5 MILLION FILM CAMERAS!!!! And yet they are still bailing out.

12. Samuel B

Samuel B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It sounds like they are going to continue producing film cameras as long as there is a demand, hopefully there will continue to be sufficient demand for many years.

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film's not dead, only the the thing that holds it. We will see much more of this in the near future, it's an evolving industry.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can think of one, and it's minor. Put a DSLR like LCD on the back that projects what would normally be in the eyepiece. For us near-sighted folk who have such problems with those. :wink:

16. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They were trying to make film bodies with the same design as digital bodies, having oversized display screens on the back. ..simple cost cutting.

Have Hasselblads changed that much over the years? They made manual cameras long into the AF era and companies are still producing new rangefinders, so who cares? Don't panic.

17. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Who needs a new 35mm cameras? I just picked up a used ELAN 7 for less than the price of a new Rebel.

Besides, who cares about the camera? The camera just holds the film and exposes it. The lenses will continue to made for dSLRs. And Canon will have to produce EF lenses for it's full frame and 1.3x crop cameras, which can't take the newer EF-S lenses..

18. Samuel B

Samuel B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I do think it's an issue. If your average happy snapper goes to buy a new camera because their old 35mm SLR died, they will be sold a digital camera. I think that is dissapointing, and it's a shame that a new 35mm film camera will probably not be a choice for anyone in the near future, unless you really search for one.

19. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You are right .... While Canon has said they will continue making 35mm SLRs, the technology will be stagnant; one more thing to make the digital cameras look newer and more appealing.

20. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's what I felt, too when I read the statement by the company's new head. Basically he said the the photo industry (but he clearly said of the "publishing" field, more for advertising) has shifted to the digital gears, and that's what the decision was based on.

That's just not good for many of us.

21. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Unfortunately thats probably true from joe-blo consumers point of view.

I do always try to point out to people that film cameras are essentially "software"
    using devices that deliver better images with better film, and that my vintage cameras are capable of making better pictures than when they were new, because of advances in film technology.

22. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think a lot of them are attached to their old SLR and would try to get it fixed.

23. edwardkaraa

edwardkaraa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think camera makers prefer by far to sell DSLR rather tha film SLR. They are directing the market into a certain path. As a matter of fact, digital has been the goose with the golden eggs for camera industry. I shot more than 15 years with 1 contax camera body, then in the last 4 years I had to upgrade 4 DSLRs, all priced well beyound my good old contax. Actually this is the main reason why I switched back to film. I was sick of giving my money away to canon.

24. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film SLRs, any chance they will start making rangefinders again?

25. genecrumpler

genecrumpler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a number of Ranger Finder Cameras in 35mm.

See Steve Gandy's site www.cameraquest.com

Personally, I don't plan to ever shoot 35mm again. I love MF and have several 120 cameras. I'm now collecting 4x5 gear.

Gene

26. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Modern Rangefinders? I'm shocked!

Apparently jokes have to be labelled as such. Of course, given the Zeiss Ikon, anything is possible. Who, in 1998, would have predicted that in eight years you would have as great a range of choice in 35mm rangefinders as SLRs?