Canonet 17

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Jarvman, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are gonna love that camera...mine gives be a little thrill every time I pick it up. There's really something special about them.

3. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will enjoy the camera. It's been my Boy Scout, canoeing, camping camera.

You'll probably need to address the light seals. Also, my usual approach for the 625 battery is a 675 hearing aid battery with a rubber O-ring. This won't work with the Canon because it uses contacts on the top and side. There is a good discussion of batteries for the Canon here (including a source in the UK): http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20546

4. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reckon I'll still have to address the seals even though it's stated as being in good condition? The camera looks in great cosmetic condition from the photos. I suppose they disintegrate over time though eh, regardless of how it's been treated. There's some DIY light seal kits for sale on eBay. Should be cheaper than getting it done professionally right. The batteries might not be so much of a problem seeing as I live in the uk. I've seen those on eBay for sale too anyway and I bet they last forever. Would've been great to have this at the rock festivals this summer just gone. It's going to be my gigging and general drunkeness camera.

5. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also look for a 49 to 48 mm step down filter ring. The cannon uses 48mm, 49mm filters are more common.

6. AgCl4ever

AgCl4ever Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think you will want a 48 to 49 step up adapter, you need to go from the 48mm lens thread to the 49mm filter.

Ken

7. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's something about them -- maybe it's knowing that it's a great camera with a great lens that can be replaced for $30 if it gets dropped/stolen/run over by a bus/etc. That tiny little "tick" of the leaf shutter makes it great for street shooting.

Are there things I'd want different? Of course. Metering to ASA3200, metered manual, a standard filter size. But you gets what you pays for.

It's not an M3 so don't expect it to be. But for $30 or whatever you paid, it's a fantastic little camera.

8. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your right step up not step down.

9. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right, so I got it yesterday. The light seals are a little chewed but nothing I think would really impact on performance. I guess I can always test a film and see what happens though. Apart from that it's in lovely condition. there's no battery in it and it won't fire in aperture priority mode without a battery. However, it will fire using any other shutter speed and they seem to sound acurate. (i.e increasing/decreasing in length) Can you use this camera manually without batteries disregarding the 'A' mode?

10. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an original Canonet, I've looked at getting a Canonet 17 as well, but never really saw the need. Plus the original doesn't require a battery, even if it means the light meter will eventually die - Always been fond of the simple things.
    They're built like bricks and will take a beating accordingly, and if you need to take the lens apart it isn't too hard. Mine survived my haphazard stuck-shutter repairs and still takes great photos :wink: Definitely a great series to get into Rangefinders with.

11. ebolton

ebolton Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, you can.

I've been using my Canonet a lot more lately, having had the urge to simplify. The easiest (but expensive) way to use the A mode is to replace the funky mercury batt with a Wein cell available at a decent camera store.

You can also use a 625A alkaline battery in it (from Radio Shack), but the metering will be a little off. I've found it's been close enough to get a correctible image with the color print film I use.

You can also muck around with making zinc-air hearing aid batteries work, or buy a diode adapter. Have not tried those solutions.

You can find out more on all this stuff with a few minutes doing Google searches. Try "Canonet Battery" or "625 mercury cell replacement".

Have fun with it!

Ed

12. crispinuk

crispinuk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format