canonet ql17 111

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by du a gwyn, Mar 6, 2008.

1. du a gwyn

du a gwyn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hello,i've just become a proud owner of a cononet ql17111.i've been looking for a nice one for a long time.it going to be strange shooting 35mm again,i'm normally a 120 and 5x4 film man.i allways felt that i needed something that would fit my pocket.off to Ireland in a few days and it will becoming with me to do some street photography.will let you know how it goes.looking for the dedicated flash for it now.any one know of where i can get one in the UK?
    hwyl am y tro!

2. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congratulations! I just got one myself, including CLA. It seems to be a really nicely made, well thought-out camera. I look forward to using it during my trip to Michigan in a couple of weeks.

As far as flash is concerned, why not use something like a Vivitar 285HV? I am using my Nikon SB-800 via a radio remote. Works great, even on Auto.

aparat

3. Sino

Sino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same here, it's been four days since I have one and I think I'm falling in love with that tiny camera. It works superb until now, but I definitely must learn how to focus quick with a rangefinder. Let's see how the first negs will come out! :smile:

-Sino.

4. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The 285 is a bit big for a Canonet!

The Canolite "D" flash is made for the Canonet. It trips the automatic flash mode, which is a Follow-Focus method to set the aperture automatically. It is like the Minolta "Easy-Flash" system. They are small units, and will not cause the camera to tumble over.

5. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    IIRC, that little fella has a seven element lens. I know for certain it is capable of real quality results. And sometimes the little "quick load" pads in the film advance need a bit of roughing up with a type writer eraser.

John, Mount Vernon, VA USA

6. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used my old Vivitar 280 AT on my QL17 with a sync chord. Not half bad if I may say so myself. I keep the s/s at 60 just to be on the safe side.

8. du a gwyn

du a gwyn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    canonet ql

thanks for all your reply's,anybody in the UK got a spare original lens hood for this camera and lens set up for sale,just to finish this nice camera off.
    hwyl am y tro.

9. Steve Bellayr

Steve Bellayr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Buy a Hama hood 49mm size comes with cap. They can be found at bhphoto. I found that the hama's are less intrusive than the round ones on the older fixed lens rangefinders. I had one on a Yashica GSN and an old time camera buff stopped me because he could recognize the camera with it (although he owned one...I thought it was funny.) Also, with a Gordy strap hanging from your hand it's like you don't even have a camera...it becomes an extension.

10. Wayne R. Scott

Wayne R. Scott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Canon QL-17 GIII takes 48mm filters and hoods, unfortunately.

Wayne

11. Sino

Sino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been searching on the eBay for similar items. There seems to be a company that offers 48mm filter lots [by the way they look they must be REALLY cheap filters, I wouldn't buy them] and snap-on lens cap, lens shade etc. I bought the cap & shade since I want to protect the lens, and the money was too little anyway. I'll let you know if the quality is bearable. Another option for the filters is a step up ring...

-Sino.

12. puderse

puderse Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    need help

Just got a QL 17 (not GIII) from goodwill. Who does a good CLA? What are the battery issues?

13. dewio

dewio Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    tlawd

Talysarn people aren't as rich as Llanllyfni people, so I've just bought a Canonet 28. I. going to photograph Cleif's new house extension with it.
    Hwyl !!!!

14. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. Steve Bellayr

Steve Bellayr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On the Hama Hood though it is 49mm with a small piece of self adhesive felt it works perfectly.