Canonet QL17

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by bobwysiwyg, Sep 27, 2008.

1. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The wife and I visited some friends to watch the Michigan game and have some dinner. Came home with another free camera:smile:, a Canon Canonet QL17. Seems to be in great shape with the exception of the foam around the back/film cover. It appears this would be a very fine foam. Is there a source, or substitute for this? The lens and shutter seem to be in great shape, though I'll check the shutter speeds tomorrow.

2. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Check with Interslice on eBay. He sells foam kits that work with most cameras. I've done two Canonet QL 17s and one or two other cameras with the one kit I bought from him, with excellent results.

3. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In playing around with quite a few older Rf's when I was finding my personal system, I stumbled on an easy and inexpensive seal replacement system.

Black foam closed cell sheets can be had in the craft section of big discount stores for less than a buck each...each sheet will do probably 10-20 cameras. In the same section, you'll be able to find acid-free spray craft adhesive (one can is, again, more than you'll need).

Spray the back of the foam sheet with adhesive, then cover the application with waxed paper. Now, ONE SECTION AT A TIME, clean the goo out of the back of your camera, scraping with wood toothpicks and swabbing with alcohol. Cut a replacement for each strip down the channels, and pad(s) for the door ends. Peel the waxed apaper off and apply to the now cleaned area. Cake!

Jo

4. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you both for the quick replies. Off to do some resealing.

5. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

I use the technique taught me by a camera repairman. Use black Chineel yarn, it will never deteriorate.
    Mark

6. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    One camera shop once told me to use yarn if I couldn't find anything else

7. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chenille is what I think you're referring to. Just wanted to make it possibly easier for folks to find with the correct spelling.

Lee

8. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

You're absolutely right.
    Mark

9. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm a little late to the discussion but I just put new foam on a QL17 (2ed model) and it was quick fix, though a little extra care is needed on the vertical strip at the latch. The material is from Interslice on eBay and was left over from another reseal job; that kit has done several cameras so far.

Cheers