Can't afford a Rollei

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Roverman, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Roverman

Roverman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So how about something else with a tessa, like a zeiss ikonta folder, I love the look of the tessa pics I've seen and would love to emulate the result.
    any other ideas.

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are cheaper offerings which will give similar results to the Tessar lens. All are cheaper too. Have a look at the Minolta Autocord, Yashica Twin lens reflexes or even the MPP Autocord or Microflex. All will be newer than the Ikonta models and possibly a bit more robust too.

3. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Minolta Autocord. Yashica-Mat with a Yashinon. Rolleicord with a Xenar. All are Tessar-type lens designs without the Tessar premium price.

Finding a folder with everything aligned and working can take some time.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Xenar is even a further development from the triplet than the Tessar. The Xenar even got a further 5th lens and improved speed in those days.

5. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why this fixation on Tessar? Are the other optical formulas not able to give a picture? I had by the past a Ricohflex (triplet lens) giving very nice results save the light coating... Same thing with an Ikoflex... The most important with these cameras is to make sure they are fine tune and that what you see is what you get (i.e., both viewing and taking lenses are matching). This is a prerequisite for fully using lens capabilities.

Take care.

6. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why do I like my Holga, my Petzval on 4x5, or my 150sf on my Mamiya?

Why do I like FP4 over Delta 100 and Delta 400 over HP5?

Different lenses and films actually impart specific looks and effects into a photo.

If I want the look a Holga gives me, why would I want to start with a Lieca?

7. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even Rollei's can be found cheap sometimes.

I found a quite nice condition 2.8c Xenotar on my local Craigslist for $120, it even came with filters, Rolleikin and some other stuff.

8. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar at a farm auction for 42.50 a couple months ago. Came with a very nice brown strap, prism ( I sold the prism on ebay) and a lens cap.

9. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes you can! It's called "Coffee Can Economics."

Get an old, empty coffee can.
    Put it some place where nobody can get into it like the top shelf of your closet.
    Every week, take $10 out of your paycheck and put it into the can.
    Every night when you come home from school or work, empty the spare change out of your pockets and put it into the can.
    Drink one less beer on Friday night and put the money you would have spent into the can. (Or better yet, quit drinking beer and save even more money! :wink: )
    Quit smoking and put the extra money into the can. What other crap do you waste money on? Why not save it? Put it in the can!

You'll be surprised how fast the money piles up!
    Even at $10 per week, that's $100 in 10 weeks. At $20/week, that would be $200.

I bought my last car with coffee can economics. I was able to afford a brand new car instead of a crummy, used car because I saved up every last spare penny I had for over a year.

If you want it bad enough, you can afford it! Just save your pennies!

Nothing personal but I sometimes get pissed off when people tell me, "I don't have any money," while they are sitting there stuffing their face with pizza, beer and cigarettes!
    If they would quit eating like a pig, drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney they might have some more money!

Okay... Done ranting... Sorry...

Still, if you really want a camera and you start saving today, you can easily have enough money to get one by Christmas. Valentine's Day at the very latest.

10. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you tell me what is the "Tessar" look? Is it so obvious that you can tell for sure "This picture was taken with a Tessar, this one with a Cooke triplet, this one with ... (you name it)"? If not, I encourage you the revise your comment.

Take care.

11. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You might be referring to the Xenator, not the Xenar? My understanding is that the Xenator is the 5-element lens (Gauss-type design?) and the Xenar is the 4-element lens (Tessar-type design).

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Roger Hicks used to tell the story about the person at a camera club who admired his Leicas and said "I wish I could afford cameras like that" then drove home in his brand new car.

It's usually just priorities.

Steve.

13. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No revision.

Given enough practice with it, I'm sure I could. Every lens I've ever owned has had a personality.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go ahead, make my day!

16. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was this girl in the office where I worked who always complained that she didn't have a Rolleiflex like mine. I told her to save up her pennies and she would always whine about not having enough money.

All the while, she would be grazing from a bag of Doritos and sucking down bottles of Diet Coke.

I asked her how much her snacks cost: $2.99 for a king sized bag of Doritos and another $2.99 for a 2-liter bottle of Coke... Times 5 days a week. Add another $5.00 a day for cigarettes. That's over $50.00 a week just on junk.

I told her, point blank, that she could have an extra $200 to spend if she just quit eating junk. Inside of two months, she could have a right-fine camera and still have money left over for film. Instead she just ate like a cow and bitched all day.

After a while, I just quit talking to her all together.

You're right. It's all in your priorities. :pouty:

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Point of correction: Xenotar

18. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Point of correction: Tessar.

If your goal is to experience the results from a Tessar design lens then sure, why not. A folder is going to handle a lot differently, as will a press camera or view camera... each of which can give you a "Tessar experience" if that's what your after. Just make sure that it has a Zeiss Tessar lens (or equivelent) on it. :smile:

19. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Depends on which Rollei, doesn't it? Is it a new model for over $5,000, or is it a 1951 Rolleiflex MX-1, for quite a bit less? There's plenty of other TLR models out there, too. But really, can you tell the difference between "sharp" and "sharp?" How about telling the difference between a Schneider and a Zeiss? I mean by looking at the print, not the lens.

20. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my highly personal view the best Tessar you can find for the money must be the Rolleicord Xenar. It's a fabulous lens. Very sharp stopped down and slightly soft for your portraits when opened up. I had a Flex with a Planar but sold it because I couldn't find any added value compared to my lowly 'Cord.

21. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The rolleiflex automat mx is tessar equipped and can be found in the $200-300 range. It's a steal. It's a solid camera with a good name and great lens. Nothing wrong with rolleicords either. it's the planar equipped rolleiflexes and collectible models that are unaffordable.

Triplets are great for people pictures; sometimes a little softish on the edges. I have a yashica-C TLR with triplet and I like it, but it's not as good at 16x20 sized landscapes as the rollei tessar, still far from lomo.

22. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would recommend a Rolleicord Vb with Xenar. Otherwise, Rolleiflex T. How much are you able to spend? Meopta Flexaret may be a good alternative if you really need to save money.

23. usuthu65

usuthu65 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    KEH has a Rolleicord V / Xenar right now for $280 in BGN condition. There you go!

24. Roverman

Roverman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes you are both right, it is about priorities, no I don't smoke neither do I go out all weekend drinking beer or sit stuffing my face with pizza etc. As for cars, I don't have a new one of those either!!!! What I do prioritise is getting both of my step kids through university, I trust this is an important enough priority to not be able to afford a Rollie. Rant over !!!!!!!

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I beg your pardon! The Xenar is most known in the Tessar-type version.

26. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad you don't smoke. It's good that you don't drink too much and that you keep your snacks to a minimum.
    Applause to you for having better resolve than I do. :smile:

I'm sorry I couldn't express my thoughts in a way that don't sound so negative.
    My examples were meant to be generic, not to imply that you smoke, drink and mismanage your budget.

My story was specifically targeted at the girl in my office. I tried to help her get a camera. I even searched Ebay and found a nice Pentax with a lens included for under $100 yet she still insisted on complaining.
    Yes, every day she ate a bag of Doritos and a bottle of diet coke.

It's my fault with letting my frustration with one less-than-intelligent person spill over in your direction.
    I thought you would understand it as an example and not as a personal indictment.

Sorry...