Can't find this accessory!! Where do I go from here??

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Sirius Glass, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have searched and searched and I just can't find this accessory. I am looking for a filter that improves the composition of the photograph just prior to the shutter activation.

I have looked at the threads that list books on composition. Frankly, I do not want to sit around reading a book on composition. I want it to happen and happen now!

I cannot find this filter at Tiffen, Hoya, Kenko, Domke, Steadicam, Saunders, Zing, Tokina, Cokin, Sunpak, Heliopan and B&W.

Please advise!

Steve

2. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's called a brain. Hard to find in some environments...

G

3. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that filter is now obsolete. It has been replaced by a Photoshop plug-in.
    juan

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why didn't I think of that?

Steve

5. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you tried Singh-Ray or Formatt? I know Lee makes one cuz they've got great composition over there.

vinny

6. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't Pop Photo have an article a few years ago about how to make one yourself? Something with a cereal box and duct tape.....

Richard Wasserman

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lack of sleep or total bordom usually works for me

8. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Accessory

Steve,

A quick visit to your family optometrist may get you a new prescription for the latest in "Rose Coloured" lenses/filters. Unfortunately, you may find that the square ones are somewhat difficult to modify for circular threads on current lenses.

Ken

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Relax Stever Cokin make creative filters :rolleyes:

10. Chris Breitenstein

Chris Breitenstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you need to do is spend all your time tracking down the latest top dollar gear and techniques. Then you need to get the lingo down and berrate everyone for not using. lastley go out take a few shots, if they arnt comparable to Adams Weston, Cunningham,sexton etc... you bought the wrong gear.

This cominc strip summs it up nicely.[​IMG]

11. light leak

light leak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a digital version once. It was great while it worked but
    it faded to clear glass after about a year.

12. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is such a filter, but it's been listed as a controlled substance by the FDA.

13. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sales of the composition filter were stopped in anticipation of the robot digital camera with a built-in library of thousands of classic photos. The photographer would take it to a likely site, set it on the ground, and turn it on. It would scoot around, rotate, extend up and down, and take the best possible photos, judging from its library. When it was done, it would signal the photographer who would transport it to the next site and repeat the operation. At the end of the day, the photographer would download the many masterpieces and post them on other photo websites. The robot could even update its library from the robot images of other robot cameras. The photographer wouldn't have to strain his mind at all, but early versions of the robot camera might strain his back with all of that transporting.

14. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a lens cap to improve composition rather than a filter.

15. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you referring to the preview filters that Zone VI produced a number of years ago. About 3" diameter disks with lanyard that had filtered cutouts for 35mm, 4x5, etc.? Allowed one to preview composition and the filter gave some indication of contrast ratios.

16. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    "Composing" a photograph was a vastly overrated activity that use to plague the now gratefully-extinct "traditional" photographers who use to use that iccky "film" stuff. They were so hung up on things like the "Rule of Thirds" and stuff. It was really a boring time back then.

As everyone now knows, composition is easily accomplished by simply "aiming" your cellphone in the general direction of the picture you would like. This technique is regularly demonstrated at arenas and stadia wherein thousands of accomplished photographers "click" happily away at the performers or athletes down below them!

So today, unlike those darkroom ages, we do not need concern ourselves with composition. Thus, "composing filters" (a.k.a. the photographer's "eye") have been tossed into the dustbin of history.

Aren't we all so much better off now?

17. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So that's what its for - I thought it was a filter to make the scene look an ugly drab olive green - and give you an indication of how badly the photograph will come out. As someone already pointed out the nice picture filter, the rose colored one, never made it out of the Newfane workshops.

Mike

18. JJC

JJC Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nah........ Really?........ That could never happen....... Could it?........
    I'm getting scared! :sad:

19. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a robot--they may already be here on APUG!