Can't take it anymore

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Grace Cox, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Grace Cox

Grace Cox Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No offense to anyone in particular, but I can't take seeing one more waterfall, landscape, church interior, dog portrait, or nudes posted in the galleries. We are supposed to be a community of creative artists. How come everyones images are starting to look the same. It's depressing. Also, the majority of people here are supposed to be shooting black and white, not gray and white. If you want grey images, stick with Wal-Mart or Wal-greens processing and save yourself the trouble of scanning and posting.

2. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry Grace, but landscapes are all I do. I do it because I love the beauty of the world that we live in, and I do it as a means of sharing that beauty with others. I work almost exclusively in color.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I promise--no dog portraits from me!

5. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Hmmmm. As someone who has made a large number of "cookie cutter" images. I applaud you and your viewpoint. Well stated and I agree.

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Analogue PHOTOGRAPHY Users Group... not Art Forum... I like photographing churches, I find it relaxing. If you don't like those kind of photographs, don't look at them.
    Personally I like to see the same subjects from different photographers. It is interesting and educational to see how they put their individual stamp on similar subjects.

7. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I say .. steady on old girl :wink:

maybe the grey thing is a problem with your monitor ...? most of the pics here seem to have good black to white tones on my screen.

woof woof

8. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Exactly!!! Just today I saw a color image taken in China, "Morning Mist on the Lake." This image makes me extremely jealous; I wish I could do an image as well as this one.

9. garryl

garryl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Feeling better now Grace?It not what you interrupt, but how you interrupt
    it.

Mae West; "Goodness had nothing to do with it". :smile:

10. anyte

anyte Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    And once again I find cause to wonder if I'm in the right community. I'm not a creative artist. I am a photographer. Plain and simple. I capture reality, hopefully in a pleasing way. Hopefully I can bring something to people that they wouldn't otherwise see or even notice. It's not my aim to be artistic in my endeavor.

But never mind that. What, may I ask, are we supposed to be photographing if landscapes, waterfalls, dogs, churches, dogs, nudes, children, flowers, birds, rocks, trees, cars, everything under the sun and the moon, has become redundant and boring?

Art is not everything. Reality has a place in life as well. Each photographer should be focused on bringing themselves into their photographs - whether that be to present a message in an artistic or realistic form, whether it be to just share what they see and the way they see it.

The only rule here, that I'm aware of, is "no digital" ...

11. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I sense a can of worms being opened... Everyone run for cover.

What would you like to see?? Out of curiosity...

joe

12. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whew! I'm so glad I primarily photograph those all-too-often overlooked subjects called children. Thank God there aren't a lot of people out there photographing them!

13. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Grace!
    Last night I went to a camera club meeting and there was a man & his wife there who take photos of insects...beautiful Velvia slides of insects....insects sitting, eating, copulating....spiders, too! eating...sitting...copulating. Insects must have a good life with all that copulation. :wink: But by the time it was over...I was GLAD I did not have to look at one more insect slide! It was interesting, and they knew a LOT about insects (it's a hobby for them), but there are only so many pictures of insects you can look at!!

So take heart, Grace! Soon we will be making wonderful images of meaningful things... like the Calatrava, and the lake and some sand.... and maybe a building or two! :D

I guess I'd have to agree about the nudes... I mean how many pairs of breasts do you have to look at? :wink: Where the h*** are the naked men?? Geez, I'd like to see something other than the same old "T&A"! <g> How about some pecs??? Get out of your boring naked woman rut!! Shoot some naked men! There must be SOME where you live that look good!!!
    :D :D :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: hahahaha!!!

16. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting Tirad, although I do not and have not posted any images in the gallery, I find this an interesting and actually a quite asumptive post, I know for one, I live in one of the best parts of the US for Landscape photography, and also know if I don't take pictures that sell, I will be eating soda crackers for dinner, I know each one of us has that artistic side is us, but if your like me, I enjoy real food over soda crackers most days, As this and the glass business is one of my main prospects for income, I will continue to capture the grandure of the waterfalls and landscapes every time I can.

Thanks for your comments, although I do find them interesting and kind of in left field.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties
    Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass

17. Grace Cox

Grace Cox Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Controversy...Cool!!

18. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I shall refrain from posting any further images so I don't upset your sensibilities.

19. rjs003

rjs003 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow... I'm glad to hear about the naked breast thing... I thought it was because I was getting old. Now I know it was just a matter having seen too many. I agree about the forum, a lot is repetition... but who am I to say, I'm just a novice and can count the number of really good photos that I have made.

20. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeanette you look at the breats?? No wonder my wife say's I'm strange I look at their eyes and form :confused: Sorry I don't find blokes eyes interesting but how about some nice stubble texture? :wink:

21. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A Another
    P Photograph
    U Uninspiring to
    G Grace

22. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm...Not my fault...you used all the black in your "Voir Dire" photographs...

:tongue:

23. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    p.s.: "Voir dire" isn't a Latin term, as you have it on your website. It comes from the Anglo-French legal lexicon derived from the Old French, and though lawyers are known to mistranslate it as if it were from modern French meaning "to see-to speak," in its original context it means "to speak truly."

24. mark

mark Member

Judge not lest ye be judged yourself. Your photos are not much to write home about , neither are mine for that matter. But I am not tossing stones.

25. mikepry

mikepry Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    WOW, and I gotta go to Milwakee with her Saturday!

26. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The subject matter of a photograph is not directly proportional to the worth of the photograph, only to the appeal of the photograph. (That's about it for faux profunditity from me for the day. :smile: )

Why bother looking at the galleries? I seldom go there, mainly because I just don't like the format of viewing photographs on the equivalent of a TV screen. Since I know I won't find much to bring joy to my heart, I just avoid the whole affair.