Cape Ann in October?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Drew B., Sep 20, 2007.

1. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    anyone interested in visiting the MA north shore...maybe the 13th or the 14th of October, to do some shooting? I know Whitey and I are....who else?

2. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might be interested.. just need to check the calendar... and may have to bring the kiddlies with...

3. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This must sound dumb, but I can't find Cape Ann on Google Maps....where is it, please?

4. SuzanneR

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The "other" cape... north of Boston where Gloucester is located.

5. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cape Ann is really two towns: Gloucester (pronounced: Gloster) and Rockport, both in Massachusetts. Other surrounding Towns often claim to be part of Cape Ann; Essex, Manchester-By-The-Sea, Hamilton, Ipswich, even Rowley - but it is really the island containing Gloucester and Rockport.

6. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a spot near Rockport where you can get a phenomenal view of Thatcher Island, with its two stone lighthouses. You turn off the main road at the Turk's Head Inn, keep left and follow the road down to the water. You'll get to a little bay where on the other side there's a rocky peninsula that looks right at the island. It's hands down the most beautiful coastal scene in southern New England, and it rivals even the best parts of the Maine coastline. The lighting is gorgeous there late in the afternoon. Rockport center and Annisquam are also very photogenic later in the day. I haven't found much to capture my photographic interest in the town of Gloucester itself -- if you go there trying to reproduce Edward Hopper paintings you're not going to have an easy time.

Attached Files:

7. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm hoping you or Ed will guide us around whatever day we go. Also, if weekends are bad for some people, I have Mondays and Fridays available...:D

8. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to, but as of 2 months ago I'm no longer an inhabitant of New England. But it's pretty easy to find the good spots. Rockport Harbor is beautiful -- the only problem is finding a place to park on weekends. And you can find Thatcher Island -- just look at Mapquest and take yourself to the nearest part of the shore, due west of the island.

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, There's a show of cyanotypes by Arthur Wesley Dow at the Addison Gallery of American Art - at Phillips Academy Andover. This fine school is making up for graduating our current president by housing a great museum -the only major museum connected with a secondary school in the western hemisphere - or so says their hype.

All kidding aside, it's a wonderful place and this should be a good show of cyanotypes. All about Ipswich, Ed. Maybe we should try to take that in as well, since we're going to be "north of Boston."

10. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...sure he graduated from there? Didn't the school pay his dad to take him out of there?

11. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info, Whitey! I will be in the Boston area over the Columbus Day weekend, and this would be an interesting thing to do. As per the website, the exhibition runs through Jan 6.

12. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love Cape Ann. But I will be away that week :sad:

If the dates change keep me posted!!

13. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...or if someone wants to suggest another date....maybe more could attend.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've penciled the date in. Also, don't forget Mark's get together on November 2. This will be an eventful fall line up in New England. Though it won't be the same without Bethe - come back Bethe!

Regards, Art.

16. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yah! What he said!!

17. bill h

bill h Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I'd like to do this outing, but warning to to contrary notwithstanding I'd like to spend a little time in Gloucester...

Bill

18. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking about how to swing it for the October one, but I don't know if it can happen. But I appreciate the sentiment!

19. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh well... I won't be able to make this Oct gathering as I will be hanging the next exhibit at the VPC... The International Association of Panoramic Photography's annual competition and award winners.
    So have a good time without me... :sad:
    I am hoping to make the Nov gathering in Maine tho.

gene

20. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bringing this back up....
    1. is the original date ok...or should we change it?
    2. Addison Gallery - should we meet/go in the morning...or after the shoot?
    3. Who's still interested?

21. SuzanneR

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We will be away that weekend, as it turns out. Hubby's dad will be having his 85th b-day, and we thought we'd surprise him with a visit. Hope you all have a good one. Wish I could be there! But am looking forward to Maine in Nov.

22. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still up for it on the 13th. Don't know who else is coming or how easy it would be for folks to do Andover and then Gloucester/Rockport (about 1 hr apart.) The next step is to get a list of folks together, I think...

If the goal is simplified - Cape Ann only, we need a meeting place. May I suggest getting off Rt 128 at exit 14 and following These directions to Stage Fort Park? It has a parking lot and we can consolidate transport around the cape. Meeting time?

If the Addison Gallery is good for folks instead, we should get there as early as is practical.

23. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm on....I guess it takes about 1.5-2 hours for me to get up there...so maybe we should meet at a coffee/pastry shop...or better yet, a breakfast shop! I'll drop off the wife at her aunts in Manchester and continue on to a meeting place. I'm hoping someone from this area would want to guide us along.

drew

24. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am a maybe for Saturday, a no for Sunday. I will be with my daughter on Saturday, and if she is free that day, she will probably want to come along - she shoots 35mm.

25. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just fired off a pm to Ed to see if he'll meet up with us as he probably knows his way around there...What time do you want to meet up? Mark, how long will it take to get down here?

drew

26. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm interested in tagging along too, but I'm not sure at this moment whether I can break free.