Carbon print request

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by mark, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mark

mark Member

I have been reading about carbon printing. I want to try it someday but have neither the time nor the space right now to devote to it.

I keep reading about the releif and 3d nature of the prints but I do not think I fully understand what it means.

I live in the sticks and have zero art galleries anywhere near me that have samples of carbon prints.

Would it be possible for someone to send me a bad, destined for the round filing cabinet, test print? This way I can see what the descriptions are talking about. Even a part of a print would work.

2. phritz phantom

phritz phantom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    andrea zalme has a picture of the relief on her homepage. you can see it, if you scroll down a little. not what you are asking for, but maybe it's helpful to give you a better idea about the nature of the relief.

http://www.andreazalme.com/Pages/Home/Home.htm

3. mark

mark Member

Cool I'll check it out.

Checked it out. Is that mat/glossy look the same as a B/W carbon print?

4. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One thing to remember is while all carbon prints exhibit some relief, the effect can vary quite a bit. Machine made pigment tissue like the type Bostick & Sullivan sells (and manufactures) shows very little relief. They do make a version that exhibits higher relief, but it's not as blatant an effect like you can get if you make your own tissue in a manner to exaggerate the relief effect. Some practitioners like high relief, others don't. To a small degree, the type of final support also contributes to the apparent relief.

Yes, the glossy/matte look is also something that occurs with carbon.

Believe it or not, I have lots of carbon prints that aren't any good. PM me and I'll send you a piece of one.

John

5. rbergeman

rbergeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    hi john--
    i think i have an example of a disaster print from a workshop i took with vaughn hutchins last summer -- i did get three good prints out of that one weekend workshop alone, and the effect of carbon prints is stunning .... if you're interested, i can also send you a brochure on vaughn's next workshop on the oregon coast in may-- send me a private message with your usps address and i stick a print and a brochure in the mail

rich

6. mark

mark Member

Thank you john. Got the part of a print.