Carbon Printing Workshop...Nov 13-15, Newport, OR...Vaughn Hutchins

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Vaughn, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I will be giving a hands-on weekend workshop on Carbon Printing November 13 - 15, 2009 in Newport, Oregon. The cost is $250.

We will start at 4pm on Friday (11/13) with a demo on the entire process to give the 6 participants a general understanding of the process. The participants will spend all day Saturday and Sunday making carbon prints using carbon tissue I will make prior to the workshop.

Carbon printing is a contact-printing process, camera negatives and/or enlarged digital negatives (up to 8x10) can be used in the workshop.

The goal will be to give the participants the knowledge and experience to return home and make this incredible process their own.

Please pm or email me for more information and a brochure. This workshop is part of a series of workshops given by the Newport Photography Workshops, based at the Newport Visual Arts Center...a beautiful facility on the beach in Newport.

vgh7001@humboldt.edu

Vaughn

2. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    If you are up in this area I highly recommend taking one of Vaughn's workshops. Vaughn is my friend and mentor. A great person wonderful teacher and amazing carbon printer. I took a workshop a while ago from Vaughn and in a short time produced an award winning print following his procedures. Don't miss out on learning from one of the best.

As a testament to Vaughn's teaching and inspirational abilities I hope to give a workshop in Southern California sometime in February.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to go but I'm going to be in Tonopah until the 12th leaving little or no time to get to Newport. :sad:

I'm committed to Tonopah so I'll have to wait for another workshop in Carbon Transfer Printing.

Curt

4. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Curt, I will be giving a longer and much more in depth workshop in Yosemite in mid-April 2010 at the Ansel Adams Gallery (using AA's old darkroom behind the gallery). The AA Gallery is still working on their workshop schedule for 2010, so nothing on their website yet.

And there is a possibility of a workshop in Portland, but date, location, and other details have yet to be fleshed out.

Have a great time in Tonopah -- I would love to be out there, too!

Vaughn

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I will be demonstrating the whole carbon printing process, from making the tissue, sensitizing, exposure, and developing the print. Or at least I will be demonstrating how I make prints -- every practitioner personalizes their process to fit their materials, working space, and what they want the final print to look like. While the audience will not be physically doing any of the steps themselves, a daring observer might be able to get enough info from the demo to attempt the process at home. After all, I taught myself the process from a magazine article in 1992, without ever seeing an actual carbon print until I made my own. Finally saw someone else's carbons in 2003 (Sandy King's at APIS).

But I will have a bunch of my prints with me at the APUG Alt Process Gathering. My demo will be only 2.5 hours of a exciting week-end of demos and talks.

Vaughn

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One word: Excellent! :smile:

8. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vaughn,I have seen Jims prints up close and "live" and was very impressed . Have you set prices yet. In Yosemite.

Mike C

9. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mike, The AA Gallery sets the prices. My carbon workshop there last year was $800. It is a five-day workshop. The 5 days allows the participants to make their own tissue, then print with it. Because the tissue takes a couple days to dry, this is an opportunity that one does not have with week-end workshops. Until the tissue dries, the participants will make carbon prints using tissue I will have made prior to the workshop.

Vaughn

10. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vaughn,thats a little much for me right know, but I do get up to Oregon once or twice a year so would be nice to attend something less expensive. I will keep watching posts here for future classes. Thanks.

Mike C

11. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well, I'll jump in here and say that I'm planning a workshop in the Southern California area some time in the next few months. Should be a weekend thing and I will cover the basics and provide the materials to make prints etc. Tentative is in February. In the planning stages right now. Cost will be reasonable as I love to teach carbon.

Jim

12. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah! great Jim,count me in.My daughter wanted to attend allso,but she headed off to collage and won't be here at that time.

Mike C

13. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mike, I taught Jim everything I know and he has taken it a long way from there...so his workshop will be a good local opportunity for you!

Vaughn

14. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks you guys and especially Vaughn. Vaughn taught me a lot and is one of my go to guys when I have questions. Carbon printers are always learning how to refine this amazing process. I hope to be able to inspire my future students the way that Vaughn did for me. I'll be sure to keep everyone in the loop.

Jim

15. Don12x20

Don12x20 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Good to hear

16. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There are still a couple spots left in the Newport Carbon Printing Workshop, November 13 to 15, 2009

Contact me for more details.

Vaughn

17. Jim Graves

Jim Graves Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mike and Curt ... the Yosemite price this year has been lowered ... not a lot ... but to $700 for the 5-day workshop. With the cost of lodging, it is a little dear ... but if you count it as a vacatiion (if that flies with the significant other), it is a fabulous place and well worth the cost ... and, you get to work in St. Ansel's own darkroom to boot. I went this year and had a blast ... will be going again next year. It's my only vacation ... and it's a great one.

Curt ... I may see you in Tonapah. I've signed up but may have to miss all or part ... we'll see.

Jim in Sacramento

18. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to be in AA,s own darkroom and use it is just about worth the price.I be thinking bout'it.:tongue:
    Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  19. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mike,

AA's darkroom (or at least the "Light" side of it) was used as the Gallery's shipping and receiving for a long time. It was very good to see it revert back to a workshop space.

If Jim F's workshop on Carbon printing stirs your desire to dive into carbon deeper, the April Carbon Workshop in Yosemite would be a great way to do it!

Vaughn