Carbon Transfer workshop in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Jim Fitzgerald, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I will be conducting a two day carbon transfer workshop at Translight Photography Center in Los Angeles on the 25th and 26th of September. They have a very nice facility at the Brewery. I will cover the whole process over the two days and give you the basics to continue the process on your own. Seeing how it is done is very important. I've tried to keep it affordable. The two day workshop is $275.00. Go to http://www.translightcolors.com for the sign up information or you can contact me @ jimfitzgerald101@hotmail.com for more info.
    I'm also continuing to offer carbon printing workshops on an individual basis in your darkroom or mine so let me know if you have an interest. Thanks.

Jim Fitzgerald

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
  2. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck with this Jim!

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best of luck with the workshop Jim, it's a great medium to be involved in, have a lot of fun down there. I did a pour today and can't wait to print, I need to buy some gelatin in bulk.

Curt

4. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks you guys. Curt, you can get gelatin from bulk foods .com. Great place to buy. How did the pours come out?

Jim

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read the thread on alcohol to reduce bubbles and it worked for me, I had the smallest of bubbles last time but this pour turned out looking just fine. When I printed on my tissue at Vaughn's workshop and got home with a magnifier I saw micro bubbles so it's something I'm keeping an eye on. Also I'm pouring with greater care now so it's a lot of fun to do. I used the Vellum Denril for the tissue support and it's working fine. I have 1000 sheets of it so I was hoping it would be useful and it is. Thanks for asking.

Curt

6. Fast Frankie

Fast Frankie Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If anyone is intersted in Carbon printing, come see it being done by a master. Jim's work is outstanding, and he obviously knows his materials. One word of caution... Carbon Printing is very addictive

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't afford another addiction. I will be in Los Angeles at that time, but I have all my days scheduled. Maybe another time.

Steve

8. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone. The nice thing is that this is an affordable addiction! I will bring my passion for the process with me and I hope the attendees take it home with them.

Jim

9. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will PM you Jim,me and my daughter would be very interested.
    Mike

10. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim just realized I'll be out of town that week end,my daughter my attend by her self but I wanted to go with her.Let you know whats happening when she gets back.
    Mike

11. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike,

I'm attending Jim's workshop this weekend (Aug 21 - 22) and according to this post he has room for one more. Though, it is soon. Perhaps Jim can chime in.

12. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim is much in demand these days,I'm here in LA and that is to close to miss.And besides I did want to go with my daughter and she wont be here for two more weeks.
    Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2010
  13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, I'm printing today and tonight on my own tissue, first print is good, I've changed to AD from PD and trying Denril for support, in spite of the many changes I've managed to make a nice print. I'm on the next one, it's pressing right now and I'll be developing it pretty soon. Having a lot of fun with all the work but it's getting too hot to work in the day time even with an ac unit in the window. Apparently I got the glop formula and pigment load right. I'm taking notes in my Carbon notebook too. I want to make more negatives with a longer DR and make some thicker tissue. See what you got me doing?

Thanks
    Curt

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn Curt, you're making me wish its already Saturday - I've got 2 days with Jim this weekend and I hope I can contain my self 'til then.

16. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ghostcount,once you take that class and start talking Carbon Curt will be your friend for life. I toke one of Jims classes around Jan oFeb,and Curt has not slowed down once.
    Mike

17. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL - I hope my wife will understand. :D

18. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife went to bed early one night last Winter when a UPS Freight truck arrived at my house as his last run for the day. It was starting to snow and the truck backed in and the driver opened up the back and on one Oak pallet was a NuArc exposure unit on the accessory stand with lots of extras. He used a pallet jack and put in the drive way, after he left I got it on a steel wheeled mover and nearly had it fall over on me. I put it in the garage and the next day my wife got to see what I bought. She didn't say a thing, I got lucky.

Now that I've explained what the printing process is and have shown her some prints I've made she is lot more accepting. I was introduced to Carbon transfer photography at a workshop demonstration by Vaughn Hutchins and was immediately intrigued, then I took the workshop with Per Volquartz and Jim at Per's house in Pasadena and made prints there, last Spring I attended a weekend Carbon printing workshop with Vaughn at Newport Oregon, there were only a few people there and it was just fantastic, the weather was great and the location was perfect, I made a few nice prints and advanced again.

Now I'm making my own tissue and really having a lot of fun, it's hard work but very rewarding. I wanted to learn Dye Transfer but it slowly disappeared before I could get set up, this is really perfect for me at this time of my life. It will take time to learn, more time to fully understand the variables and a lot longer to master.

Curt

19. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! your wife is truly understanding - I can only dream a NuArc exposure unit. Though, my wife said the garage is mine as long as she has the final say with the house decor. The next day I was framing a small section for a darkroom. :D

I too took Per's Pt/Pd workshop but it was one on one. He told me about the combo he did with Jim and as soon as an opportunity with Jim came up I signed up. I hope 2 days is enough.

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    "The first one is always free", said the Pusherman...

21. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks to all for the nice comments. The nice thing about the Translight facility is that it is in a public darkroom facility that is really nice. Lot's of room and a great working space. Before I finalized things with Translight I was offering workshops and still am at my home/studio in Ventura. Randy is coming out this weekend for a little one on one. I've got some nice new tissue poured and I hope that anyone that comes has plenty of energy. It seems like when I get going I never stop. I think it is the way us crazy carbon printers work. I think that Vaughn would agree that it is nice to inspire other photographers with our passion for carbon printing. He certainly inspired me a couple of years ago.

I'm glad that Curt is "going for the Glop" and seems to be making some nice progress. The more you print the more this all makes sense. I do have one more spot available for this weekend so if someone would like to join us just send me a PM or an e-mail.

Thanks,

Jim

22. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just completed a 2 day workshop with Jim and it's one of the best investment I ever made in photography. Jim is a wealth of information - he imparted to me not only in carbon printing but gave me hints and tips in all aspects of photography. I'm in debted to him because the knowledge I received from Jim was worth more than anything I can gain by myself.

I highly recommend on keeping tabs with Jim for his availability and sign up for his workshops. Don't be afraid to call him because he is very reasonable and accomodating. I've been enlightened in carbon printing by one of the few experts. PM me if you have questions on my experience.

Thank you so much Jim.

23. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Randy, thanks for being a great student. You followed the procedures and went home with several nice prints to frame. When one sees the mechanics of carbon printing it makes it easier to make progress. Carbon printing is a labor of love and it was nice to show you the whole process. The real bonus was sending you home with some nice carbon prints to frame.

Jim

24. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Just a reminder that the sign up deadline for the workshop is this Friday the 18th. Get your deposits in to me so I can get you on the list.
    Thanks,

Jim

25. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, I'm off to the workshop in New Mexico in the morning and I have four 4X5 carbon transfer prints to show, Per said bring 3 prints per person, I have some other ones too but it's the first time out in public for the carbon prints. I know that 4X5 is small but when presented with 4 ply cut mats on 11x14 they look quite nice. I flattened them in the dry mounting press but remembered that you use tape so I used some archival tape and did the same to fasten them to the mount then hinged the over mat.

I want to thank you and Vaughn for all of the help in learning the process. When I get back I'm going to clean house and get going at carbon printing with new energy. I have two pounds of AD now and have switched to it from PD.

Curt

26. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Curt, have fun and be sure to say high to everyone for me. I know there are several people there who have seen my carbon prints and it is nice to know that Vaughn and I helped you on your way with carbon printing. I'm glad you have some work framed so congratulations. I wish I could have gone but the day job is keeping me in town as is a private workshop I'm teaching at my place this weekend.

Jim