Carl Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by edwardkaraa, Sep 23, 2006.

1. edwardkaraa

edwardkaraa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I am considering the purchase of this lens and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some info about it's optical performance. Is it better or worse than the smaller f/2.8 version? How does it compare to Canon's L version?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have never used the 35mm 1.4 Distagon. I have a 35mm 2.8 and a 35mm PC Distagon. Both are fine lenses.

3. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What are you connecting it to? I don't have that one but over time I've found that I prefer to leave my CZ lenses on my RTS -- where they are a total joy to use -- rather than futz with the aperture and difficult-to-focus screens in my Canons (Elan7, 300d and 5d). It's just too much fiddling for quick operation, so if you're shooting people or other moving subjects at anything other than wide open or in very good light you might want to stick with the Canon lens anyway.

CFn4-1 -- it's a good thing :smile:

4. edwardkaraa

edwardkaraa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's to be used on my S2 and Aria cameras. I also use Canon Eos film cameras and lenses, hence the question.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If we could have kept 'ours' (on a year's loan from Contax) we would have. A stunning lens.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com, where you can learn why they lent us one).

6. alien

alien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favourite lens! Fully usable all the way up to f1.4, with phantastic results. Have a look at my gallery....if I have taken a picture with a Contax, chances are that I used the 35. It will tell you in the description. The latest entry was made with it!
    Ansgar

7. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have one in Rollei 35mm mount. Incredibly sharp lens, hand-holdable in very low light, easy to focus, and extremely well built. I'd love to have one in Nikon mount now. If I just had the cash... :sad:

8. edwardkaraa

edwardkaraa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. You just convinced me to let go of 800$ of hard earned cash :sad:

9. edwardkaraa

edwardkaraa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Finally got the lens. A nice German made AE version. Now sorry but have to ask another question:

How about the 18mm f/4? I will need this lens to complete my focal length range, but the MTF charts on Contax site don't look so impressive. Any opinions about it's sharpness and contrast? Thanks.

10. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree that the MFT charts are NOT awe inspiring. I have a 21mm Distagon and it is one of the very finest lenses I have ever owned. Extremely Highly Recommended.

11. edwardkaraa

edwardkaraa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, no doubt about that, but the prices asked for this lens these days are just crazy. I could buy a new one 2 years ago for less than half the price of a used one today.