Carrying 120 rolls safely...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tkamiya, Dec 11, 2010.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whenever I carry 120 roll films, I'm afraid I may pressure damage them. That is, if they bang around too much and something solid and sharp hits their surface, such can potentially dent the film leading to damage.

I know Freestyle has 120 film protector that looks like an over-sized 135 film canister but are there anything else?

2. mts

mts Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A small tupperware container--especially for humid Florida. Use a small piece of bubble wrap to take up any extra space.

3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a choke case from Gander Mountain & cut the dividers out of it. It holds four.j
    Any gun/sporting goods joint should have something like it.

4. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If there is a TAP Plastics near you, they have clear (well, milky) plastic cases that hold 120 rolls, with a flip lid. Exactly like the black cases ADOX film comes in, and myabe what Freestyle sells. This works well form e since I can stuff rolls in various nooks and crannies. If you want them all in one place, others' ideas sound good.

5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Depending on how much i carry of the stuff, i either keep them in the cardboard packs they come in, tucked in between the soft padding and the outer walls of my bags, or 'bunch' them in a small LowePro "film organizer" bag. Never a problem.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji once offered a two-piece plastic case with cavities for three rolls.

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a few of the Adox containers, and they and other sorts of containers are handy sometimes. But the film isn't that fragile in practice. Incidental bumping around in the camera bag or your pockets isn't a problem.

Recently, I ordered some film from one of the retailers in NYC, expecting to get a of 5 roll box. What arrived was 5 rolls bundled with a rubber band, bumping along under the air pillows with the other stuff I bought. I was concerned, but it was fine.

For storage in the fridge I have a Plano #3504 "utility box" I got in the fishing section of a sporting goods store which fits 120 rolls very nicely. It has dividers so that different films can be organized into their own sections. It's big enough for 20 - 25 rolls, more if you don't use the dividers.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only carry a few extra rolls of 120 inmy gear bag, they reside in Adox canisters which are very convenient and were free with the purchase of the Adox film.

9. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    what me worry?!??

in 25 years of using 120 film, i never did anything special - threw it in the bag and didn't think about it till i was reloading a back... never a problem!

ignorance is bliss!

10. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ditto

11. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :confused:

You're really over-thinking this.

12. Todd Barlow

Todd Barlow Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Soap Holders from the Dollar Store

They are inexpensive, they hold 4 rolls and come in different colours, work great.

Link for a picture: http://www.rei.com/product/695993

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 I just carry them in cardboard box the packs of five rolls come in, I've been shooting 120 roll film for nearly thirty years, and never had one damaged.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My camera bag has two outside pockets. One I use for unexposed 120 film, the other for exposed 120 film. Before shooting I peel the film out of both the box and the wrappers. Never had a problem with damage.

16. Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Otter made a small waterproof hard case whose interior width is about a mm or so larger than a 120/220 roll, and whose length permits 6 rolls. It's very light and packs anywhere and will protect your film from trauma, rain/humidity, and from immersion in a stream. I haven't seen the otter brand around in sometime now but there are black waterproof cases at K&S Photography in Palo Alto, California (where I bought the Otter years back) that are larger but offer the same protection as the Otter. I have two of those for storing multiple rolls in the refrigerator and in the cooler while traveling. The smaller Otter is ideal for backpacking - I only wish that I would have bought two.

Thomas

17. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A properly sized pill bottle also works. There is one size that

18. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm with JimO and the other's about this molehill. In my case, 45 years of having never even thought about it. Keep 'em in the cardboard box they came in. If not, so what.

I've screwed up a lot of film over the years, but never from carrying 120 in a bag. I carry a lot of 120 film loose in a tank bag on a motorcycle and that gets beat worse than whatever you do.

19. reflex

reflex Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acratech made metal canisters with screw-on tops (one canister held one roll). If you're concerned about damage, these would be the ultimate solution. They aren't shown at Acratech's website anymore, but you may be able to find them secondhand. They cost $13.50 each when I bought mine in 2002.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I leave unexposed film in the foil and, where appropriate, the cardboard pro-pack boxes.

Exposed film goes into the plastic roll holders that J & C sold while it was operating, and Glazer's sells now (for a lot more than J & C).

I like being to grab the exposed film easily and quickly. For colour, I also like the fact that I can pop that film into my pocket and take it to the lab without worrying.

21. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I put my film into a heavy duty zip lock bag that comes holds hydrasleeves, a product I use at work for groundwater sampling. It probably gives minimum protection from anything other than water and as these bags go into the outside pocket of my bag or the fridge or into a larger bag in the freezer it is the protection I need the most. The main reason I use them is for the ease of moving them from one place to another. I used to carry the four canister I got with Adox film but the bags work out better however I should carry at least one of the canisters with me in case I end up with a roll that does need extra protection from light.

22. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

This one wins! I already have many of them here.... THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010
  23. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now, let's talk about which is better - the bottle that had antibiotics in it or one with cold medicine in it.... hum....

24. Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This Pelican Micro 1040 case is perfect for roll film: http://www.pelican-case.com/pelmiccas103.html

It will hold 9 rolls as pictured below:

[​IMG]

The smaller Otter that I mentioned will hold 6 rolls. I have a larger Otter that will hold 20 or so rolls but the above two cases are ideal for backpacking.

25. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    ziploc for me

26. msa

msa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Same way I protect 35mm rolls, using suitable sizes of these:

[​IMG]

Know anybody that takes a lot of medication? Price is right :smile:

I use them to store film, fasteners, ball bearings, camera parts, electronic components, you name it. They make great storage for anything small. My friends know to save them for me. I have shelves full of stuff in these.