Carrying around LF camera in the back 40

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Tom Nutter, May 16, 2011.

1. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    OK...I have one of those army A.L.I.C.E. packs---the medium size...both with and without a frame. I have a Toyo field camera and some lenses and all the trimmings....any suggestions on making it fit in said pack without slipping a disk?...or more importantly, without smashing it all up?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  2. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  3. Luseboy

Luseboy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HAHA! baby jogger. Well I am interested in carrying methods for my cambo as well so i am going to subscribe to this thread.

4. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over the last few years I've read about the baby stroller thing over and over. So, I think geeze, how sad, all those old guys cant even carry a little camera. Fast forward till a couple of months ago. I picked one up at a garage sale. On a trip to Death Valley I finally used it.

Well, those old guys are me, worked out pretty slick.

5. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    MY army A.L.I.C.E. pack doesn't seem to have the correct attachment points to make that baby jogger useful....any other ideas?.....maybe something innovative on how to compartmentalize a big empty rucksack?

6. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not just a baby jogger - check out a "Nordic Cab" - stroller, bike trailer, dog sled, ect - rated for 110 pound load and has a solid plastic bottom. I have been down this road and a NordicCab is one of the best solutions out there.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an old wheel chair that was given me by a friend. I have refitted it to carry a couple of 4x5's and related equiptment, along with tripods and a bag of MF gear.

8. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    check out some of the MOLLE gear backpacks, they will work quite well. Also, have read about folks using the fishing reel cases (hold one or more fishing reels) for their lens. If you do a search on here should get quite a few hits on the different ideas folks have had.

9. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretty sure Tom is looking for ideas of how to compartmentalize a pack he already has... the reel case is along the right track - anyone else with on topic ideas?

10. Luseboy

Luseboy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just checking out last night some different backpacks. I found that if i take the rail off my cambo, it will fit in a think tank "street walker" back pack, which is fairly small. I am planning on picking one of these up very soon.
    -Austin

11. herb

herb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    carrying 4x5

there was a company, I think had the name Sherpa in it.
    you might check them out.

seem to remember they made a rolling carrier for just such an
    outing.

12. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Was I asking about rolling carriers? I don't seem to remember that...Thanks for the suggestions though.

13. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Okay...cool...so how were you thinking about attaching your gear?

16. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking of strapping on my tripod, a padded cooler of film holders, a padded toolbox containing a couple of lenses, and a jug of gatorade. I don't have a box or container to store my B&J 8x10 cameras in yet, so your question is still valid for that aspect of it. I could easily strap the toolbox I use for my 4x5 Speed graphic to the backpack, but that's pretty easy to carry without a backpack and can hold camera lenses and film.

17. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just get some lens wraps and throw the stuff in there. That wont be very elegant, but it should protect the gear. I did that with a top loading pack. It worked, but it was a pain in the neck, cause everything you wanted was on the bottom.

18. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Here in Australia, there aren't to many places in the bush where you would be able to use a baby stroller and still get to the places you really want to photograph, so I have to use a backpack. This is what I did.
    I made a polystyrene foam insert for my Black Wolf backack and then covered the foam with a tough yet soft fabric. The pack is still fairly light and all of my 8x10 gear is protected. All you need for the insert is some 1 inch thick foam for the outside and base and 1/2 inch for the interior, and then use PVA glue to stick it all together. Let it cure for a day cover it with the fabric using more glue and Bob's your uncle. Done. Just make sure you get your measurements for all your gear right first.
    Mike

19. mark

mark Member

How much you willing to spend to make it usable. Cheap means towels and cloth diapers. I did this with all of my packs until I bought a dedicated camera back pack. Never broke or scratched a thing. Kind of messy on site because of all the wrappings. If I was going that route again I would chunk down money on some fly fishing reel packs and other paraphernalia.

Just start fiddling with combinations and realize that all that crap gets a LOT heavier the further you walk, and you have to walk the same distance back. Figure out what you HAVE to have and keep it minimal. once you trim down the trimmings there will be much more space in the bag to pack padding into.

By the way well washed cotton cloth diapers totally rock as lens wraps.

Wyno's ideas sound real good.

20. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    How much to spend? As little as possible.... Wyno......your ideas have gotten my brain clicking a little. Thanks! I appreciate that. Some day I would like to see The Outback. :smile:

21. OldBikerPete

OldBikerPete Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My solution for my Wista 5x4 field camera, 4 lenses etc.. was to go to a store which sells foam rubber and have a big block of same cut to just fit in the pack. Then I took that home and with a very sharp knife, cut pockets to firmly fit all of the bits and pieces. Gluing cloth over all the exposed surfaces makes getting bits in and out easier.
    My pack is the type for which the entitre front zips open, exposing all the contents, if your pack is of the top-loading type, this solution may not suit you.

Peter

22. mrbishi

mrbishi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    +1 for what Wyno said.

In my LowePro 28lt pack I use a generic soft camera bag insert similar to this which fits around my 4x5 perfectly (take out the middle insert of course):

[​IMG]

and then I have a few zip up cushioned protective cells like this (one holds my double darks, another the misc items like loupe, meter, level etc.)

My dark hood, and other miscellaneous items have there place in the pack (water is via a camelback, food and other field tools/safety items go into the various pockets in the pack itself or on the shoulder webbing).

[​IMG]

My tripod then attaches to the back of the pack with webbing.

23. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Without looking first....where do you get something like that?

24. mrbishi

mrbishi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    eBay :D

I'm going to pickup one of these tomorrow from a local outdoors shop to see how it goes.

[​IMG]

It should be spot on size wise to fit in my pack with a lot of gear - will post a picture once I get it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  25. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a ruck sack with lenses and food, a shoulder bag with books, pens, light meter, filters and other bits, Sinar C on tripod over the shoulder, weighs a bout 15kg and I can walk for ever, keep it simple!