Carrying sheet film holders

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by DBP, Jul 2, 2006.

1. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been trying to take more long walks, on which I usually carry a camera, or two. A lot of what I see to shoot is architecture, so I've wanted to carry a large format camera around, and while I can easily throw a tripod over my shoulder and carry the Speed Graphic or Horseman in hand, I haven't found a good way to carry the film. In cool weather I wear cargo pants with two holders per side, but they feel a little awkward. Has anyone found a better solution, short of wearing a backpack? I'm thinking about something like a surplus cartridge belt, but I'm not sure what size would fit the various holders (2x3 and 4x5).

2. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Justin Gnass (brother of Jeff) makes some very nice Holder files. I had him make one for my QL/Readyload holder and up to about 40 sheets of QL/Readyload film. The Holder files have attachment points for a strap. Justin makes some really nice products and they are very well designed and made. Here is the link:

http://www.gnassgear.com/products/product_detail.cfm?pcode=PG-84632

Hope this helps.

Rich

3. HPorter

HPorter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I purchased a couple of the Calumet cut film cases to use for this purpose, as they have belt loops on them. But I found them awkward to actually have hanging off my belt.

Although I don't have one yet, I would like to buy a grafmatic 6 sheet magazine holder as the ideal solution for me. That way I can just carry my Speed Graphic with the grafmatic in the camera and only have one package to carry. I don't usually expose more than 6 sheets of film on my casual walks, so the grafmatic would be ideal.

Another possible solution is a soft-sided cooler. I have one that I was given at the end of a construction project that is just big enough to hold my Speed and a few cut film holders and my meter. It is small enough to be very little trouble to sling over my shoulder and carry around. And the insulation padding helps to protect the camera from damage.

Of course if you want something very nice, Kevin Saitta makes custom cases for this purpose. See www.kjsphotography.com

Harold

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The only thing I consider if I have to carry heavy weights any distance is a backpack. I'm 56 years old and my back has had enough abuse already!

(Or of course I park nearer the subject -- the Ansel Adams approach!)

Cheers,

Roger

5. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

....and when you are 66 and carrying a 7x17
    http://babyjogger.com/performancesingle.htm

Don't laugh. You will be there (larger camera or older body) sooner than you think, or not.

John Powers

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear John,

Nah, I don't like miniature formats. My 12x15 Gandolfi Universal (with 3 holders, in case, with 3 loaded holders and one lens) weighs near enough 30 kg, 66 lb. DEFINITELY one where you park nearer the subject.

My point, of course, was that over-the-shoulder bags, or anything carried in the hand, are a lot harder on the back than backpacks.

Cheers,

Roger

7. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've been carrying 4x5 holders in a lunchbox-sized insulated, collapsible cooler. I've got a few of them, some were free as premiums from various companies, some I bought for a few dollars at places like Walmart. They're made by companies like Rubbermaid. I can put 5 or 6 holders and a meter in there.

For 8x10 holders, again I found a very inexpensive insulated tote bag, about the size of one of those Lands End totebags. I fit 10 8x10 holders in it. When fully loaded, it's heavy, but they're protected from dust, dirt, rain (it zips closed) and heat.
    Neal

8. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For 4x5 and anything smaller, I use a Waist Belt Production Pack made by Portabrace. I bought mine from B&H.

It's two small packs on a belt - I've found one carries all the accessories one would need - meter, filters, lens cleaners, lenses, etc. while the other side will carry a half dozen 4x5 filmholders with no trouble. Carrying the weight on the waist is very easy.
    juan

9. P. Yee

P. Yee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest a shoulder bag such as a Lowepro Nova series. I use one to carry my lenses, light meters etc.

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You might look at APUGs own Kevin Saitta (look on the sponsor page), he is always ready to make cases to order. I've talked to him on Skype and he is an all round nice guy, and a pleasure to do business with.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a few belt packs for 4x5" Grafmatics that I had made to order from a guy on eBay who goes by "ted.b" and he sells them regularly now on eBay, or if he doesn't have them listed, you can e-mail him, and he can make them up. He also made me one for my 5x7" bag mag. I got these before Kevin Saitta started making his packs, so I'd check those out too.

12. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is one option that sounds tailor suited for 4x5 shooters. It's pretty well de rigeur for wire shooters and news grunts. Don't have one myself ( use Thinktank gear) but all my colleagues swear by them and they notice a big difference in more back comfort and less fatigue.

http://newswear.com/chestvests.htm

13. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My large f.64 backpack for 8x10 came with two smaller bags that`s made for 4x5 film holders. I put 6 holders in each and hang them in my belt. B&H sells them : Film holder case
    It`s really great to have the film ready for "action" shoots :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only thing I consider if I have to carry heavy weights any distance is a backpack. I'm 56 years old and my back has had enough abuse already!

(Or of course I park nearer the subject -- the Ansel Adams approach!)

Cheers,

Roger

Roger when you herniate your back and have surgery on it then you might like the "miniature" formats. By the way what is your idea of a miniature format? I am 54 and have had back surgery and had to scale down to 2x3 and 5x7 in inches. My only regret is that I can't be in the Elitist ULF anymore.

Curt

16. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I like those soft coolers with straps, the insulated ones that you put ice and a six pack in.

17. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I flew with a Speed Graphic, I carried 4 grafmatic holders with 24 sheets of Super XX in the pockets of my flight suit.

I've posted some of the B&W results.

Hmmmm. The AF let me keep the flight suit. Maybe on those long walks of mine .........

Awww, it doesn't fit anymore.

PE

18. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I carry my filmholders (and Camera) inside my Kelty backpack in Kevin Saitta filmholder bags - recommended!

19. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the same approach I use in colder weather, two holders in each cargo pocket, filter and lens hood in jacket pocket. But when it is 98 that's a bit hot, so I am really looking for something more like a bandolier.

20. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acutally, I'm wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt right now.

The shorts have 2 cargo pockets which can hold 2 of the film backs or 12 sheets of film. The back pockets can carry extra gear.

A flight suit is too hot to wear in any weather except the cool environment of a cockpit. Well, if the A/C goes out, we cancel the flight.

PE

21. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't have to deal with any of that. A Fuji QuickLoad holder and box of QuickLoad (20 sheets of film) takes up about the same amount of space as 5 traditional holders, and I can carry twice as much. - And, I don't have to load or unload them either.

22. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ExOfficio safari-style shirts have two large pockets, and you can fit a Grafmatic in each one, but in warm weather, they can get moist.

23. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob;

I have the quickload holder as well, but back then they didn't exist as is now.

So, I can use either, but I feel more comfortable with what I learned on.

PE

24. derevaun

derevaun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you're usually in an urban setting? I'd look for an over-the-shoulder type bag at an outdoor store like REI/EMS/MEC etc. Backpacks are definitely kinder to your body, but it takes more effort to deal with taking off & putting on the backpack and that might influence your decision to stop and shoot. Likewise belt packs would hang the weight from the hips, which is ideal, but you definitely won't blend into an urban situation. Maybe something like this?

http://www.eaglecreek.com/40358.html

Some improvised cardboard inserts would do a pretty good job of sorting the holders out.

And don't overlook the wellspring of ingenuity when it comes to hauling stuff: diaper bags. A film holder has about the same dimensions as a size 4 Pampers Cruiser. If you can stomach the horde of ecstatic/panicky parents-to-be (like me a few years ago), a visit to Babies-R-Us could be productive.

25. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might have to pick up something like the eaglecreek bag for 5x7, it's a little big for 4x5. I've been using a cooler bag to carry 5x7 camera, cloth, and holders, but it's a little bulky. For 4x5 and 2x3 I guess I need to get some cargo shorts.

26. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i've been using a cheep-o camera bag - one of those fake leather rectangular ones. fits film holders perfectly (upto 5x7) and has a shoulder strap. i was recently given a bike messenger bag as a gift and it looks like it will fit everything i need ( upto 8x10 holders) ...

--john