Cart with wheels for my enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Tim Gray, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just picked up a brand new, never assembled Beseler 23CII-XL. For the time being (next several years), it's going to live on some kind of cart with wheels so I can roll it into my bathroom. So, what kind of affordable yet sturdy carts are out there. I'm in the US, so something I could pick up at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot, Ikea, etc. would be preferred. Anything good out there of the right height for an enlarger? A bottom shelf where I could stash misc stuff would be cool too.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a cart from Ikea that was more or less one of those "chef's carts"- the metal tube legs with wire rack shelves. I used to keep a Beseler 23C on it and roll it in and out of the bathroom. It was tall enough to store my 16x20 Nova slot processor on the bottom shelf. I don't know that Ikea still makes such a beast, but you could try Home Depot, Lowes or The Container Store and see if they have something similar.

3. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A TV cart

4. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a projection cart that I bought some years ago. It has one lower shelf
    and a row of electrical outlets at one end. It's made of black PVC (or something
    similar) with metal wheels. It's perfect for my 23C. The timer and other stuff
    go on the lower shelf.

Projection carts are probably not so easy to find these days. I got mine at an
    office supply store back in the 90s.

5. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    One thing to check is that it is low enough to roll the enlarger through the bathroom doorway.

Jon

6. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had my very tall Beseler 45VXL on a wood TV cart on wheels, when I lived in a 2 BR apartment! Never a problem with vibrations, etc.

7. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I built my cart for my Omega D6 using the modular steel shelving available from Storables.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.storables.com/Shop/Shelving/Steel-Shelving/

They will cut the vertical posts to length for you (in the stores) for no charge.

Not cheap, but very adaptable, and very strong! And compatible with our kitchen shelving too!

Previously, I used a microwave cart from Target for my Beseler 67, as described (see posts #8 and following) here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/66739-putting-off-inevitable.html.

That cart works well for my Beseler 67, and most likely is large and strong enough to work for yours too.

Matt

9. konakoa

konakoa Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a rolling tool chest from Sears. Very sturdy and solid. It's just the right height, and the enlarger baseboard fits perfectly on top. Plenty of drawers to store darkroom bits in as well. The tool chest has has a black glossy finish; in appearance it matches the enlarger really well -- it almost looks as if if were made for my 23C!

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When I had that situation, I used a rolling typewriter table. The top was smaller than the baseboard, so I put an extra set of rubber feet on the baseboard, so that it could sit squarely on the table. It slipped perfectly over the commode.

11. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All great ideas! I don't need to position the cart over the toilet - I'm going to make a board that lays over the sink and extends over the toilet so I can position my trays. Enlarger will be on the other side and print washing in the tub.

Nicholas - the taboret thing looks perfect. I like the metal one with big wheels, but its a bit pricey, so...
    Matt - the Target $50 microwave cart looks just right. Sure it'd be great if it had bigger wheels, but the price is right.

Hopefully I can find someone with a truck soon so I can fashion together this countertop.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim:

The wheels (on mine) are castors on threaded posts, so you could probably put larger wheels/castors on later.

On mine, one of the shelves pulls out. I switched it around so that shelf was on the bottom, and I found a plastic tote that fit it perfectly.

Matt

13. DLawson

DLawson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This may not be an issue with a 23C, but always a good idea -- measure where you want to go and the cart you are considering.

I have similar thoughts about my 45M, especially since it is a beast to pick up and carry around. For a while, the "darkroom" will be the master bathroom. It wasn't until yesterday that I got around to measuring things.

The enlarger is 25.5 inches wide. The bathroom door is nominally 28 inches, but it is in a corner, so the door doesn't swing all the way clear. Fallout is that I *might* be able to get it in and out without taking the door off.

I was also considering storing the enlarger in the nearby closet, but that door is 24 inches.

I think this all gets lumped onto the pile of reasons to get the darkroom built sooner rather than later (and to put in a wide door).

14. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is any part of that 25.5 inches simply baseboard? If so, sacrificing a couple of inches of baseboard width may be a worthwhile compromise.

Otherwise, I agree whole-heartily with your suggestion to measure first. And don't forget the height of stand plus baseboard plus column(s) vs. door-frame and sill (if any).

Matt

15. DLawson

DLawson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nope. In fact, it doesn't have a baseboard at the moment. I was considering mounting it on a rolling cart/table instead. Not sure that helps me much (though it might be helpful if I ever do horizontal projection). I think I'm stuck with the Bogen as long as I'm using the bathroom. Not a tragedy, as I'm only shooting 35mm and it is (or was, last time I tried) reliable enough for my current skill.

16. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For the record, I ended up with a microwave cart from Target. It's black metal with a wooden top for $40. It's a hair smaller than the enlarger base, but it's the same width and will work fine. It's about 30" tall, about the right height for comfortable working. My 23CII-XL and the cart clear the top of the door frame by maybe an inch - it was close!

I should be printing at home again soon. Thanks for all the suggestions.

17. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  18. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That looks great! A bit heavy duty for my current apt, but when I move in the next year or two, I'll remember that for a more permanent, but still mobile setup.