Cartier-Bresson RIP

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Poco, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Poco

Poco Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3536724.stm

Henri Cartier-Bresson, one of the world's most important photographers, died at the age of 95 on Monday, news agencies reported on Wednesday.
    Friends said the photographer, who became known for his ground-breaking street photography, died in the southern town of l'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.

He was buried in a private ceremony in the town, reports said.

The publicity-shy photographer was a founding member of the Magnum picture agency in 1947.

Regarded as one of the pioneers of photojournalism, his pictures now hang in art galleries around the world.

Friend and fellow photographer, Lord Snowdon, paid tribute to him on Wednesday.

"He was brilliant, I will miss him very much," he told BBC News 24.

"I don't think he'd like his work to be called art, he would like to be remembered as an anonymous figure. His books record moments that can't be captured again."

Born in 1908 in Chanteloup, near Paris, Cartier-Bresson initially studied art before taking to photography in the 1930s.

He helped transform what had been regarded as little more than a gentlemanly hobby into a bona fide profession.

He also coined the phrase "decisive moment" in photography, referring to the split second of timing that helped transform a picture into an iconic image.

He called it "the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organisation of forms which give that event its proper expression".

He was a student of Surrealist art before becoming interested in photography. In 1931 he moved to Africa, where he lived as a hunter for a year.

On his return to Paris he revolutionised street photography with his images taken with the Leica rangefinder, the first 35mm camera.

He worked across Europe, but in 1940 was imprisoned by the Germans after the occupation of France. He escaped three years later and witnessed the liberation of Paris.

In 1947 he set up the Magnum agency with two other ground-breaking photojournalists, Robert Capa and David Seymour.

The agency forged a name for hard-hitting news photography. Cartier-Bresson covered Mao Tse-Tung's victory in China and the death of peace activist Mahatma Gandhi in India.

Celebrities who sat for him included artist Henri Matisse, singer Edith Piaf and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He certainly was a great master of photography.

3. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    R.I.P. Henri.

4. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HCB was truly one of the greatest. Very few photographers are recognized by the general public for their work but he is one of them. And his influence on the medium can easily be measured by the number of other greats who list him as one of their biggest influences.

Thanks Henri for sharing your heart, passion and skill.

5. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    He has inspired my work more than any other photographer.

6. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ditto
    It is a sad day :sad:

7. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He lived to 95, the world got a bonus of him! He's earned his rest, let us not lament his passing but celebrate his life! He did wonderful things for all of us, brought new ideas to life and changed the world in his own fashion. I for one am grateful for all he did and all that he inspired.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    He was one of the greats.

9. Poco

Poco Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that's the right way to look at it, Gary. Still it's always sad when any great man dies. Even if his most productive years are past, a continuity to that greatness is broken.

Oops, make that man/woman, his/her etc...

10. roy

roy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love looking at his photographs - great humour.

11. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just re-read his "The Decisive Moment" essay ( in Photographers on Photography ). Couple of quotes I like:
    And,

12. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    His ability to capture the moment, no small task, with such great composition, not a small task by itself, is/was what made him inspiring to me. That and the fact he had such a *great* attitude.

13. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Humor? I always thought depressing, he always seemed to get to the underlying reality of a happy event.

14. cjarvis

cjarvis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Le roi est mort. Vive le roi! Et au revoir.

15. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    He's was a great photographer and spawned many mini HCB's that we will get to enjoy for many years.

16. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We have lost another icon of our art, but he and his work will live on in print and his influences on many of us. A very sad day and may he rest in peace!

17. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This quote defines how I think of him. A man who could capture the real essence of humanity that was so important to him.

and from Erwitt to Salgado. ..... any person that can influence so many photographers to be a great as these, is surely extraordinary.

18. Andre R. de Avillez

Andre R. de Avillez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's sad thing indeed. There is much to be learned form Henri Cartier Bresson's work...

It reminds me of another great french photographer, Pierre Fatumbi Verger (Fatumbi is an afro-Brasilian name he took up in Brazil).

Both men took photographs of life as they saw it, and both did it largely for their own purposes. Both used one camera their whole lives (Bresson a leica, Verger a Rolleiflex) and none were limited by it. Both photographed in the same period (from the 30's on), and in their way redefined photography (though Bresson is much more recognized than Verger). Both set standarts that few photographers meet.

Both passed away, largely inactive in photography throughout their late years.

Lot's to think about

19. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format