cartridge paper for van dyke brown

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by paulie, Nov 20, 2010.

1. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    having used a multitude of different cotton papers and enjoying the experience , although a expensive one.

i decided to buy a large sheet of 300gsm cartridge paper, very white , flat surface and cheap 1 pound.

wasn't expecting a great showing from this paper, swelling maybe,blotches possibly, strange coating behavior or maybe unusual coloration. what the hell ill give it a go.

i applied two generous coatings of gelatin 4% coated with a high quality brush, temp of gel was 60 c approx, so quite hot.

allowed to dry off naturally and finished with hair dryer.

sensitized using a soft brush, first coat allowed to dry then a 10 sec blast from hair dryer, second coat of sensitizer , followed by a 1m 30 hair dryer on each side.

made test strips in same manor 45 second hair dryer on each side

i added a -10% exposure compensation to the print time due to moisture level compared to test strip.(moisture speeds up exposure, and as the test strip is likely to be dryer than larger sheet , well you get my point, 10% was perfect)

all i can say is wow, beautiful, smooth coating, nice neutral brown tone, great contrast. and the most important thing a ice white finish to the paper.

why am i writing all this, well because if you haven't slummed it in the cartridge paper world then do so , you wont regret it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the success may have to do with the gelatine coating you did. Always great when things turn out and on the cheap, too! :smile:

3. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In any case, if you want stable prints that will last; use pure cotton, acid and OB free art papers. Many so called cartridge papers will yellow and become brittle with age...

4. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    yeah my original intention was to use a dicromate hardened layer of gelatinn ,i will try that next and also a albumen size

yeah i realise the archival problems, but as i dont tone my prints i suppose thats the least of my worries, if i want a archival print i use carbon transfer, as for yellowing it will take some years for the yellowing to be as dramatic as cotton is when fresh.

i consider my vandykes to be pleasure and not business

i will update this thread if the prints destroy themselves or spontaneously combust or alike

5. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, then we aren't going to hear anything from you (about this issue) before a couple of years... OTOH, I predict it won't take more than a couple of years - especially so if you weren't extra careful / fastidious in processing.

Regards,
    Loris.

6. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've used cheap paper for cyanotype. Cyanotype prefers acidic conditions. My first cyanotype prints done... 3 years ago and haven't spontaneously combusted either :tongue: :smile:

7. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    for sure, my processing is pretty firm, im sure the vdb's will fade pretty well anyway without a noble metal, i like the temporary nature of the alt iron process, it just fades away into eternity , like us humans lol

8. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    thats good to know :0)

i just bought another two sheets today so ill be printing away like a over excited kid . and just for a few pennies a print

9. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    > use pure cotton, acid and OB free art papers

Acid free - the inference by me is that a buffered paper may be good. Perhaps a pH neutral paper would be best or actually for iron processes an acidic pH maybe yeild best performance.

10. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope, acid free simply / plainly means acid free (that wasn't a figurative expression), "buffered" is not equivalent to "acid free" to me...

Regards,
    Loris