Case Foam

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Marvin, May 24, 2010.

1. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a nice hard case that I use for my Bronica ETRSi system and the foam is beginning to break down. Just wondering if others have found good replacement foam for their cases.

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pelican cases have foam inserts that you can custom fit. They may sell the material separately from the case.

3. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One of the best foams for inserts is Plastazote

http://www.zotefoams.com/pages/US/plastazote.asp

You should be able to find it relatively easily - common here in UK.

Its a fairly dense closed cell foam that comes in different hardnesses and sheet thicknesses. Often also comes with a self-adhesive backing.

The great thing with plastazote is that not only can you literally carve it with a *very* sharp blade, you can also machine it with a wood-working router, so its relatively easy to make up a plywood jig to machine multiple sheet layers to the same profiles and make a very fancy insert.

I used to work for a company that did this commercially.

4. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you already have the case/dividers as I think might be the situation, perhaps the dividers etc could be stripped back and a closed cell foam glued on to them. Camping shops sell rolls of closed cell foam for reasonable amounts - used for seat pads, under sleeping bags etc. Very good for absorbing big knocks. For little jolts a further layer of open cell foam on the top will cushion the gear like it was being carried on feathers ! :D

5. largely

largely Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's breaking down into small bits, I'd get the equipment out of there asap. Think of it like sand.

I get replacement foam from an upholstery specialty store. Many grades of foam available. I cut it with a fillet knife. If possible, I freeze the foam first (seems to help a bit).

7. Theo43

Theo43 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Pelican case with "pick 'n puck" foam which, as it is relatively new, works well; however, it seems to me there is a lot of wasted space. I think I will be getting a padded divider insert. You can buy foam inserts, and padded divider inserts, separately, just browse the Pelican web site to identify the one that would best fit your case. B&H Photo has good prices.

8. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the info. The case is actually a Western Union technicians case for tools but it is a well made case and I have used it for years. The foam is not falling apart it is just not as firm as I would like. Dividers are a possibility and would give more space, I may look into going that way. I could look at a new case with more room. The case will hold 2 Bronica ETRSi complete with back, prism and 75mm lens. Also 50mm, 150mm lens, lens hoods and grip.

9. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used the sound deadening/eggshell style foam to protect gear in transit on airlines and it works perfectly.
    Wish I had purchased earlier - would have saved us a bundle on modelling globes and flash tubes!

10. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    be careful with soft/cheap foam. It has a tendency to powder/fragment as it ages, and also may not be chemically inert, particularly if an open-cell structure has absorbed any contaminants. High quality high density closed cell polyethylene foam is very safe to use.

11. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An electric knife does a pretty good job of cutting foam.

12. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info. Something I've been wondering about.

13. patricia de roeck

patricia de roeck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep clear of foam! I have the pick-out foam in my Pelican case and it sheds bits of foam like cat hairs - I've resorted to packing each bit of equipment in sealed plastic before I put it amongst the foam sections - what a pain.
    Patricia.

14. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to disagree - at least in terms of a blanket prohibition of foam. While I've never used the "pluck" type foam, I've never had a problem with quality foam suitable for packing cases. I only get it from foam specialty shops that carry a wide variety of different foam materials.