Case for Calumet CC-402?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Kekhotep, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi,

Someone please recommend a case for my newly acquired Calumet CC-402.

Thank you.

2. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Is that the wide angle model with the short rail? Do you want a hard or soft case & how many holders & other accoutrements do you want the case to hold? If yours is a short rail, take a look at an Igloo Playmate (no, really!) They are tough and the appearance deters bandits. If the ID is long enough to accomodate the rail, make two partitions(plywood is good) or a smaller box to fit inside with the edges notches to hold the rail with the camera upside down between the partitions. You should have plenty of room for your dark cloth, holders, filters, loupe, meter, etc...

3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I concur. I used a plastic cooler with the saddles made for supporting the camera made from tape reinforced foam core board.
    Then after using this for a few years I found a nylon exterior air case, and had to rework the foam to fit the cambo.

With the Kodak Master View it was in an OEM case. Grey painted plywood, with a red flock material inside. The original handle had crumbled long ago, and I took an old belt from my Dad's estate and bolted it to span from end to end, with enough extra length to allow the lid to open.

4. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, wide angle with a short rail. I'm a tad confused, plywood would go where?

5. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

It doesn't have to be plywood, even a studry cardboard box could be made to work. What you want are two bulkheads (upright walls) notched to cradle the rail with the camera body suspended upside down with the tripod hole facing up. You'll have to take some measurements to determine how far apart the bulkheads need to be to accomodate your camera and how far beneath the opening of the cooler they need to be in order to accomodate the rails so you can close the lid. To my knowledge all monorail cases work like this so if you can find a photo on the internet of any monorail view camera in a case you should be able to get an idea of how this works. Good luck!

6. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    A soft cooler would work fine for this type of camera. Or, a largish book pack with padded back would also work for hiking.

Jon

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A soft cooler (as Jon suggested) would be my first choice unless you really need the protection of a hard case. The canvas or nylon soft tool bags (sold at Home Depot and Sears among others) also work. I've even seen diaper bags used.

8. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Couldn't mind my business.

Excellent suggestions !
    My case is a bit shabby so I like the of the soft tool bag.

Thanks

Ron

9. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you. I'll try it.

10. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Freestyle recommended a foam stuff Pelican, anyone know about these or this type?

11. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    a pelican case is a water-tight rigid plastic case, such as for whitewater rafting. Due to the bulkiness of the camera, a very large and expensive pelican case would be required. Except for the ground glass, this type of camera is not very fragile.

Jon