Case for OM-1n and OM-2sp

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by baachitraka, Mar 28, 2012.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking to protect my OMs with very nice case, also do not want any old or used ones.

I'm wondering whether digital pen's case would fit, since they are plenty available in e**Y. Any help.

2. alex66

alex66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am afraid not they are too small, what about one of the people who make cases for Leica's maybe one of them does one. Luckily I got one with one of my OM's original in near perfect condition. Used pristine may sadly be your only option.

3. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    If you shop ebay hard enough new-in-box Olympus OM cases turn up now and then.

But you can get a custom half-case hand amde in leather for the OM series. I think one is from "Mr. Zhou".

4. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The original OM cases were made from that black vinyl type covering over a white felt-like material. The black wears off fairly easily and it is real obvious against the bright white backing. Also, the case holds on with little loops over the strap lugs, not a screw into the tripod mount. The case was the least impressive part of the whole system.

The leather half cases on Evilbay look very nice, but they are quite dear. I've been looking at it for months now, and still can't bring myself to shellout over 60 bucks.

Since the OM's are so small they fit very nicely into various accessory cases. I use a Quantaray case that's 3"x5"x6". With the hot shoe removed, an OM will fit nicely with any standard or wide lens. Tamrac makes a case just slightly larger that will fit the camera with pretty much any lens smaller than the 200f4. Use a wrist strap and the camera slips in and out of the case in a second.

5. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Well, the real original OM cases were black leather with fine felt linings and a tripod thumbscrew. They also had a chrome nameplate mounted to the front. I have about 5 of them.

There were also brown and tan leather cases offered. I haven't seen one to compare to the black version.

The vinyl cases came out much later, for the OM10 and 'consumer' grade models. Last year I found 4 new-in-the-box of these for about $14 each. They are nice and offer protection but, as Tim points out, are not very substantial.

6. danfogel

danfogel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one of the black leather ones that I would consider selling. PM if interested.

7. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a brown leather one. Impec. PM if interested.

8. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to hijack, but are there any alternatives to the 50-70$ leather half-shell cases for an FM2? I'm not completely keen on shelling out that much if there's a cheapo nylon/polyester alternative.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    option 1) Try to find a camera swap meet near you. (they have several near Los Angeles every month) There will usually be someone there with a box of old camera cases. Rummage through and find one you like and negotiate with the seller. Not usually too expensive.

option 2) Hunt ebay and sooner or later you will find one.

10. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is interesting. I have an OM-3 case that is NIB, and it is the same vinyl material as all the others. I would love to find a real leather case. Now you have set me off on a quest! :smile:

11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I just looked at ebay and there are several.

There are a few different kinds. The first series do attach to the tripod socket with a thumbscrew.

As these are getting quite old you may find them in various degrees of disintegration. It is common for them to come apart at the bottom, letting the sides out. Those can be easily reglued.

12. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The tan leather ones are probably the pick of the litter. They show up from time to time on the "getting site." I figure they, unlike the synthetic ones will last a life time. Bill Barber

13. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They turn light brown with time.