Cash in on my old 120 spools?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't believe it. People are selling used 120 spools on eBay. I have hundreds. Maybe I can cash in :smile:

2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only if you mislabel them and try to pass them off as 620 spools lol. Let me know how it works out, I have a neat pile over here as well.

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will do. Better that that. I'll sell them as 620 spools for Holga :wink:

Cha Ching!

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mentioned the price of 620 spools to my Dad. He figures that if he just had saved all the loose 620 spools lying around his office at Kodak he could have retired rich!

5. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :sad: I gave an old roll of VP127 and an extra spool so one of the APUGgers could use his little camera. I still have a couple, but I'll keep them for my Baby Yashica. I could sure use a few 620 spools, I have only a few and I have a couple of old cameras which won't take a modified 120 spool. Since I have only three spools it limits my picture taking with these old box cameras.

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    620 spools are worth money?

i have a whole jar full. what do they bring? ok, ebay has them for around $5 each, on average.

woopie do. Those folks DO realize every old 620 camera has one in it, right?

7. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe $4-5 each

8. heterolysis

heterolysis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone buy a 3D printer and start making your own spools of all sizes. :wink:

9. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hmmm. not worth the hassle of selling them. Would rather use them in my Medalist.
    :tongue:

10. Salem

Salem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    convert them into 35mm adapters and you'll find people paying you big bucks for them.

11. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh gosh it's surprisingly annoying to do if you don't have a small band saw to make the cuts for you quickly. It's a pain to do by hand. Plus I think only fuji ones fit nicely with just the excess cut away.

12. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I donated about 200 of them to a local primary school to use as art materials. They get glued together into monstrous structures!

13. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can't see much demand for 120 spools...are they actually selling? 620 and 127 I can understand, as these are obviously obsolete but reloadable with either 120 or cut-to-size film respectively. (I'm keeping the 620 and 127 which I have, but have so far been putting spare 120's in the plastic recycling bin!)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of decades ago we bought a house that had a whole fence line and two large beds planted in prickly pair cactus! Even knowing that all you have to do is stick a pod of that stuff in dirt and it will root, be plentiful and multiply; we still cut it all down and threw it away.

Not two weeks after completing that painful (literally) task, we were in a nursery and saw what new cactus plants sold for. We probably threw away $10,000 worth of cactus ... :blink:

16. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not to mention the fruit, the pulp of which can be used to make a tasty margarita.

:sad:

s-a

17. Aristotle80

Aristotle80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They're taking the spools out

They don't all have a spool in them anymore. People are figuring out that buyers want the spool more than the camera, and the spool alone is cheaper to ship. The same thing happened to pre-war typewriters when crafters started chopping the glass keytops for jewlery. I've bought three 620 cameras on ebay in the last year, and only one of them came with a spool inside.

18. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's a good idea. Two buddies of mine just ordered one. muhahahahaha

19. SpunkySpine

SpunkySpine Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I understand why some people are hot to trot on those 120 spools...

Not so long ago I stumbled upon an article on modifying your 35mm film for use in...
    You guessed it... Holga Cameras.

You use the paper backing from a roll of 120 to tape the end of a roll of 35mm film.
    The film is turned with the emulsion side to the backing such that the exposure is made THROUGH the backside
    of the 35mm film... requires extra 2 or 3 fstops exposure to get a usable image.
    The film is hand wound onto the 120 spool and 35mm film is then cut to fit to the end of the paper backing.
    Of course, this is either done in a change bag or a darkroom.

Take your fabricated roll of "Holga Special" and load it into any 120 MF camera.
    I just might have a go at it someday in my Bronica.

20. Denverdad

Denverdad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh my, that reminds me of this ebay listing I saw recently. Although the title clearly refers to more than 100 620 spools, I am pretty sure that those are actually just 120 spools in the picture. The buyer may have thought the $172 sale price was a good deal as a resale opportunity, but if they are really 120 spools - well, then not so much!

21. Denverdad

Denverdad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I can tell you exactly how much they go for. The answer is $7.25, on average. :smile:

How do I know this? Well, for some strange reason (a moment of boredom perhaps) I decided to look at completed sales of 620 spools and calculate how much they were actually selling for. I found about 3 months of sales to average; and having done the exercise twice since then, I can now report the figure above as the average price per spool over the last ~9 months. It encompasses eBay sales of just the bare spools, and only those sold in North America. It does not include shipping costs, although I have statistics for that too. Anyway, here is a histogram of the data:

620 sales.png

22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ironically I'm looking for some VP127 AND I just re-rolled a VP620 onto a 120 spool ... oh well...

PS you can still get 620 fresh at B&H ... no lie... there's at least two kinds, maybe 3

23. Aristotle80

Aristotle80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bravo!

This is some great market research. Ebay is all over the map for some items. Changes in description and condition alone can't account for it all. It takes me months of browsing and bidding before I get my sought after item at the average, or maybe the mean price. I can't decide if it's simply that people know they overpay and have more money than patience, or if they simply don't understand that these prices swing wildly.

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The "fresh" 620 is re-rolled 120 - "Film for Classics" is apparently B & H's supplier.

25. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I keep a few spares, but throw them all out. I just tossed a bag with about with about 70 spools in it.

26. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ahh that's why they are tin foil wrapped... Either way it's still fresh AND available.... No searching for spools

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk