Cat Hair - Drying Film

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Thomas Bertilsson, May 1, 2010.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, moving in with my girlfriend, and her two cats, has presented an interesting challenge. Cat hair.

I went to IKEA and picked up one of the 'DIMPA', which is a clothes cover that you hang in the closet. It fits four rolls of film comfortably, 24exp 35mm or 120. But, it's too short for 36exp 35mm. Is there a way to hang 36exp 35mm film by folding it in half, safely, like dip-and-dunk machines?

Grateful for tips.

- Thomas

2. asp.artist

asp.artist Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Cut in half after processing? Or, if there's room just make a u shape with it.

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That first suggestion could be messy, and the second suggestion not permanent. I'd just take it to the vet and have them deal with it in the usual way.

4. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't dip the cats in photo-flo.
    It doesn't work...
    :smile:

5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can hang the film in a U shape, if necessary. Sometimes it helps to put a half or full twist in so that the bottom isn't just flat, or clip a hanger clip onto one side at the bottom. Otherwise the water can pool some in the U.
    We have one cat, and I have a dedicated darkroom space, but the cat doesn't visit the darkroom so fur hasn't been a problem, FWIW. I guess she isn't a fan of photography.

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forming a U with the film is something I'm a little afraid of. Is there a device in existence that allows for the 'bottom' of the U to be on the top?

I thought perhaps I could make hooks and hang the film from them in the sprocket holes, and then let the two ends of the film hang down. Ya thing that would work?

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Waste a frame near the middle of the roll, and then cut through that frame when you hang the roll (now in two parts) to dry.

Choose the wasted frame according to how you like to cut the roll after drying (e.g. if you cut your negs into strips of 5, you may want to waste number 16 or 21).

8. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Get a dog for the darkroom. Train it to follow their normal instincts, chase cats.

Not sure if dog hair sticks to film.

A good air filter goes a long way.

9. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 2 cats and a dog and fortunately never really had much problem with their hair on the film.

I put a little isopropyl alcohol in my final rinse to aid speedy drying and I live in a warm climate so my film dries fast.

I guess I could always give the cats a coat of varnish should their hair become a problem.

10. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The U thing with the open ends down sounds doable. A piece of coat hanger through the sprocket holes will work but rust would be an issue after a while. SS stiff wire would be better. I have 2 cats and even though they are NOT allowed in my darkroom the hair is so fine it still finds a way in.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thomas

does your negative view holder take 5 across or 6 ?
    just trim the bottom ( or top ) 5 or 6 frames ( or 10 ... 12 frames ) off and hang them next to the roll.
    put the weighted holder or clothes pin on the sprocket holes to weigh it down
    so it doesn't curl.

the film can be trimmed on the reel ...
    no mess no problems.
    unless of course the cats are in the tank ...

12. Southern-Lights

Southern-Lights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never developed film before, but what would be wrong with cutting a 36exp roll of film in between frames in like the middle? Or don't the frames show up until the film is dry?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  13. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Until the film is completely dry, the emulsion is soft and fragile. You wouldn't want to risk damaging it by handling it.

Yes, the frames are visible after the fixing stage.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about constructing a gizmo with piece of plywood (small) and have paperclip hanger from 4 corners that will attach to the sporacket holes of film? After developing, guestimate half way point, hook two hangers, go to the other side and hook two more. The film will form an up-side-down U with gizmo at the top. That way, you won't be cutting the film, won't be handling it too much, and two side hanging from fold will be kept away from each other by the width of the plywood.

16. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume you mean shaving them.

17. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Perhaps you could see how well the cats take to swimming on a good muskie lake?

18. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just tell your GF, "It's the cats or me!". Then you'll have a place all by yourself. :wink:

19. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would use something like a wire clothes hanger, but at the bottom I would use a plastic pipe of about 10-15mm diameter.

I would then (carefully) load the film through the hoop with the emulsion facing outwards and just use two weighted film clips holding both ends and use a rubber band to hold them together.

Within reason, this is the method I've used in a dip and dunk machine, except we had weighted single film clips with a set of double teeth, absolute pain to use in complete darkness.

Mick.

Ps:- you will always find that the middle frame which was on the point of the curve, requires a glass holder in the enlarger.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010
  20. Lukas_87

Lukas_87 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I always had one cat at home, a small flat actually. I develop films in the bathroom (because I can close the door, make it absolutely dark and have running water there) and at the end after the last rinse I juse shower to spray hot water in the tub so the air in the place is more humid. Very humid air is the best way of eliminating the fur & dust problems at all, of course at the expense of 2-3x times slower drying. Another option is to shower myself before developing - and it's a lot more economical also :smile:
    Just hang the film above the tub, get out of bathroom and close the door.

21. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lukas, do you use a wetting agent on yourself to save using a towel? :D

Mick.

22. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd cut the film and hang from either end. Count frames before you cut, so it ends up jiving with whatever storage system you have. The U is a bad idea unless it is an upside down U.

Welcome to the world of fuzzy critters. I have three cats, and gave up long ago on ever having a totally clean workspace. Sometimes they come and print with me. I don't even bother to protest any more. No point in rebelling against thy feline masters, for thou shall never win.

I dry my film in a steamed-up shower stall, away from all feline activity.

23. JOSarff

JOSarff Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Tom:

A few suggestions:

1 brush the cats outside or far away from the darkroom. I cuts shedding and they will love you for it.
    2 do not let the cats in the darkroom.
    3 an electrostatic air cleaner in the daqrkroom
    4 a final everclear rinse should remove the water and make the film dry very quickly

Joe

24. El Gringo

El Gringo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got just the one cat. I've never had any problems with hair getting on the wet negs, however I use the shower to dry my negs like 2F/2F. It does somehow end up in the trays when I'm printing once in a while but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

25. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I know what I need to do now.

There are two cats in this household, and they can not be separated from the darkroom. The darkroom is basically a section of the basement that has not been screened off, and is a multi-purpose room with laundry, bike repair, cat litter boxes, workshop, etc.

I will continue to use the clothes cover, and I will cut the film in half (18 frames to each half, which works since my neg holders hold six strips of six frames each), and hang the film from the sprocket holes on stainless steel wire hooks (one on each side, and weighted down as normal. Should work well.

Thanks to you all for taking time!

- Thomas

26. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Get a wire/metal grooming brush and groom the cats at least once a week. The wired brush will remove most of the loose hair that would otherwise end up on your film and everywhere else. The cats will also be less likely to ingest dangerous "fur-balls" while grooming themselves. Don't let the cats watch you hanging your film as they will immediately want to play with it. The Jobo film drying cabinet works quite well and can be purchased very cheaply these days. There's a cabinet for sheet film and roll film as well. The plastic cabinets can be easily stowed out of sight in between sessions.