Changing Bag and Sweaty Hands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by daleeman, Jun 30, 2011.

1. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just had one of the more frustrating changing bag events. I load my film into reels inside a changing bag and then process the Nikor tanks in my makeshift setup and tear down bathroom/darkroom. Not light tight in there so I have submitted to the changing bag hell. My loving wife does not want me to make real or lasting changes to the "Guest's Bathroom" so I have to wonder if I am confined to the bag.

Has anyone experienced troubles with sweat stains on film before? I just wondered if I would run into some issues since I had, for no good reason a hell of a session getting 35mm film into quality maintained reels.

My loading 120 onto reels has no issues and goes much faster but today as my hands got sweatier the 35mm film seem to take on a life of its own.

Any experience or suggestions here and no replacing the wife to make changes to the bathroom is not an option.

Lee

2. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    is putting a small hand towel into the bag out of the question?

I don't know if you use SS reels or not but after having a hell of a time with 35mm rolls, I started leaving a bit of the leader still hanging out (I fold or cut a corner so I know whats actually been shot) and then I preload the leaders onto the reels before it all goes dark inside the bag. Then its just the ratcheting on of the film I do in the dark - easy peasy.

3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had similar problems at one time when I too used a changing bag. Once I changed to using a 'tent' the problem stopped. I made the change really for more maneuvering room. The fact that the sweaty problem disappeared was an added bonus. The only thing I can think of is that the changing bag collapses around you leaving very little breathing room, whereas the tent allows for more air circulation. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :smile:

4. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Mate I used to get very sweaty hands doing it in the summer and a number of times have leaked sweat onto both sheet film and 120 film.
    It's no problem now in the winter here, but I used to wait until night time and do it without a shirt on outside.
    Sorry, not much help!

5. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I push a cardboard carton, the biggest one that will fit, into the changing bag and work inside that. Arm holes cut into the ends of the carton make things easy. Beer cartons work well!

6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Wow that's agreat idea Maris.

7. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One trick is to wear surgical gloves, hands may sweat but it won't affect anything else.

I second Maris' idea

Also if you are willing to spend some cash, a changing tent is really nice.

8. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look into the Fuji Dark Box. There's one on ebay, now, but it's overpriced (IMO). I got one a few years ago for about $30 + shipping.

9. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I advise my students to use a shoebox turned on end. It works quite well.

10. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These are great ideas. I love the box idea. I believe the real issue comes from the fabric laying up against my skin. These reels (SS) have been in my care for years and never give me problems so I think I am my own worst sleazy and greasy enemy, sweat + frustration = hurried mistakes with SS reels.. The surgical gloves may be a good idea too.

Tonight I got delayed after loading the reels so I get to process tomorrow. I appreciate these tips and welcome more.

Lee

11. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maris for the win. I use a long rectangle of what a lot of people used to call shirt cardboard inside the bag. Because it's longer than the bag it forms an arch in order to fit inside and lifts the fabric off my hands. It's narrower than the bag so I can slip the film and reels, etc past the edge into the bag.

12. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still pondering how duct tape could fix this too.

13. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just covered the edges of the door to prevent light from getting into the room and blocking out windows would be easy enough if there are any. Just takes a little time. But more than effective.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Changing bags are awful, almost completely unusable. Putting a cardboard box and a small towel inside helps, but reduces the already tiny space inside.

The changing tent is an entirely different experience. Mine is a Chinese one off eBay, and I thoroughly recommend it. Still not as good as a darkened room, but a lot more portable.

16. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried the cardboard box idea and it helped a lot actually. I thought I would take it a bit further. So today I picked up 4 outside 90 PVC joints in 1/2" and some 1/2 tubing. The outside 90 degree joints have 2 slip connections and one threaded, the only ones I could find, so I had to get a threaded adapter to slip connector to make all three joints slip together.

What I made was an inside tent frame for my changing bag. It holds open the bag to just about as tight as it will go and still zip closed with ease. One has to slip the legs on once the square frame is inside the bag.

Parts List
    (4) 14" cuts of 1/2 PVC [easy to cut off a 10' length]
    (4) 4.5" cuts of 1/2 PVC for legs
    (4) Outside 90 degree connectors
    (4) Threaded to slip connectors [since one end of the outside 90s are threaded]

I will pick up (4) 1/2" caps next time I swing by Lowes because it will help extend the life of the inner changing bag liner from the edges of the PVC legs.

Made some quick happy snaps of the bag with the frame inside the bag, and of the frame and of the broken down pipe parts. I will load film holders in it soon and see how it works out. $ 8.00 in parts certainly beats a $100 or $200 changing tent if it works well.

Note, funny how the digital happy snaps blows out the highlights... guess that is just another reason we still use film ya know.

Still working on that Duct Tape Idea (there has to be a solution there, duct tape and coat hangers ya know that kind of thing) :munch:

Lee

Attached Files:

17. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lee: rather than changing wives, I suggest inviting a fellow photographer to stay at your house every weekend. Your wife would then be obliged as a good "host" to have a "guest" bathroom/darkroom for their use. Problem solved.

Dan

18. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Love the ideas of boxes inside the bags - going to try that myself!

I have found issues with condensation affecting Paterson spirals making spooling difficult however found that putting the reels, tank and bag into a warm airing cupboard for a few minutes before loading brings the temperature of the components similar to arms/hands and reduces the occurence of condensation - whether this is applicable to "sweat" I don't know. Just my thoughts!

Sim2.

19. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan,
    I think you are onto something there. Think Sue will fall for that? I get sweaty palms just thinking about how the honey-do jar would start to overflow in kind from all the weekend guests.

20. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you are going the surgical gloves route get nitrile unpowdered gloves. Many surgical gloves come powdered and that could possibly present a problem. The nitrile also come latex free for those who are allergic.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com

21. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like many other already said, the changing back is a nightmare. It's is almost usable under 'normal conditions' for a quick operation. When it's hot and humid, it's a disaster for films.

22. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used the powdered ones successfully, just "wash your hands" after you put them on. The gloves dry quickly.

23. Edward_S

Edward_S Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I usually get an itch somewhere as soon as my hands are in the bag and the film is out of the canister...

24. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea I start doing the ichy-goomy dance almost every time. Since I am not a Navy Seal, I am not capable of mentally dismissing an itch. Ever pick up a pen with your teeth and try to scratch an itch while the hands are in the bag?

25. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I spent ~1.5 hours half naked in the pitch black bathroom with a tiny fan at 12AM, rolling 34 36exp cassettes of Kodak Double X from a 1000ft reel last week. Not fun since the AC does not circulate in.

Tonight seems much more humid, broke a sweat in bathroom rolling just 3 rolls of Kodalith 12exp to test from a 100ft roll.

My darkroom is also quite warm, the air circulation is horrible. Might need to drag in a portable AC, the fan is not cutting it.