Changing focus screen on Rolleicord I

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Antje, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I decided to take a break now and then from my dSLR and picked up a nice Rolleicord I. What can I say... I love the little brick. What bothers me is the dim focusing screen. My dad has a couple of TLRs with much brighter screens I'm eyeing enviously, but he won't share. :rolleyes: :smile:

That's why I'm looking into brighter screens now. How hard is it to replace a focusing screen on a pre-war Rolleicord? There's a repair shop that replaces them and services the whole camera at the same time. Do you think that is worth it? I'm sure I'd need to realign the focus too. Is that doable?

Thanks!

Antje

2. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The mirror on these cameras often require replacement as well. I would start with that, especially if your mirror has black spots and/or has yellowed. On a Cord I its almost certainly a shellac-silver mirror, impossible to clean without damaging it.

4. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestions! Andreas, that forum looks awesome, a wealth of information there. Cool. :smile:
    Mike, yes, I decided to give it a complete overhaul. If it's good for another 70 years then, that's money well spent, probably.

Antje