Changing the lens on my enlarger?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by stradibarrius, Feb 16, 2009.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an enlarger that seems to be one that nobody is very familiar with.
    Currently it has a Schneider 50mm camera lens on it and the lens board has a lens type mount I'm guessing like the Old Kodak camera that this lens originally came with.

If I want to put a 105mm lens for 6x7 MF negatives where to I find a lens board or how would I mount a lens that had 39mm threads?

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What kind of enlarger is it?

3. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We really need to know what enlarger you have! It is very likely that an interchangeable lens board is available, if not a lens board that is too big can be cut down fairly easily, thus avoiding the relatively hard job of cutting a 39 mm thread!

4. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is a Burleigh Brooks 670, made in Japan I think by Lucky. It is a very well made heavily constructed piece of equipment.

I am not sure why the previous user Put the Schneider f/1.9 50mm lens on it??? I could take a photo to post but it would have to be a digital shot for me to post it.

5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, that's OK. :wink:

Is the lens a screw mount? It's possible (especially if this is a Lucky,) that the mount is 39mm "leica" type. You can probably simply unscrew the 50mm and screw in any other lens with a 39mm mount.

6. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you need to know is whether the Burleigh Brooks enlargers use a proprietary lens board, or whether the lens boards are compatible with those of a more common make of enlarger. For your sake, I hope it's the latter, because I've never seen a Burleigh Brooks lens board on eBay ever. In fact, I didn't know there was such a thing until you mentioned it. If it will take Beseler or Omega lens boards, you can breathe a sigh of relief and easily obtain a new lens board for the 105mm lens. Otherwise you might be stuck with one lens board and with screwing and unscrewing the lenses whenever you want to change formats, which would be a pain in the ass (but doable).

7. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well Since the last post I went downstairs and removed the three screws that held the camera type mount and below that was a 39 mm screw mount!!!

8. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If a lens is advertised "without the ring" are they talking about the 39mm mounting ring?

9. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ring is to use when the lens board has no threads, just a hole.

10. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the threaded 39mm ring on the head so I just need the lens?
    EL-Nikkor 50mm f1/4 or f/2.8???

11. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Basically you're OK. Just unscrew the old lens from the board and screw in the new lens. Having only one ring is fine. EL-Nikkor f/2.8. There is the f/4 version but there is not f/1.4 version.

12. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're good to go, then.
    A 105 is overkill for 6x7; but I am from a generation taught by the old guys that an enlarging lens slightly longer than necessary for coverage is better sharpness and more even coverage. Whether that is true or not, that is what I do. I have 105 5.6 Nikkor, and a 100 mm VHE Vivitar 5.6, which is a rebadged Schneider Componon. Both give me excellent images with 6x7. I am also very conservative (whether right or not) and opted for slower 6 element lenses as above.
    Given a choice between spending your hard-earned golden grickles on a better enlarging lens or a better camera lens, of course, buy the best camera lens you can. Enlarging lenses can wait, as long as you have the negs.
    At this juncture, a schlock 90, 100, or 105 will at least give more even coverage than the 50 mm you removed-- when printing 6x7 negs.

13. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks John!

14. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I ordered a El-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 from KEH. It arrived today and I am going to try to make my first prints tonight! Iam really excitied!

15. randerson07

randerson07 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, How did it go?

16. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Everything went better than I expected!! I was able to get familiar with how the equipment worked, the chemical process etc. and I got what I feel are three nice prints. Actually all of the prints turned out good but I realized that as another APUG person had told me a couple of my negatives were too dense and produced a very overexposed looking print.
    WOW it was so much fun!! Much more fun than sitting in front of the computer using Photoshop.

17. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    First the RB and now the enlarger.... you are going the right way ! Congrad's !
    Peter

18. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did you simply try to print those overexposed negatives darker by using longer exposure time or larger aperture?

19. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not yet Chan. I was going to ask a new question, "How to print an over developed negative."
    Also the information that you sent me was extremely helpful in making these first prints.