CHEAP 355mm G claron

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by scootermm, Mar 6, 2009.

1. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    These lenses are worth their weight in gold when it comes to useability/coverage/sharpness.

Theres one in a barrel mount on ebay for $325 buy it now.
    An ULFer needs to snatch this up ASAP
    They screw directly into a copal #3.

Item #170308253151

2. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be careful. there was a seller who had a case of these that looked just like this, and all had Schneideritis and haze. The first one I bought had coating issues so he sent me another free! Great seller, but no bargain. If you compare: $325 + $125 (glass cleaning) + $250 (decent used Copal + $40 (aperture scale) = $740. You could just as easily buy a nice one in shutter for that. I sold mine because I concluded they were no bargain.If indeed these are from the same batch.

Cheers, Steve

3. mferrarini

mferrarini Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the note of caution, Steve. I was almost ready to pounce on this until you reminded me of the hazards of purchasing a lens without actually having it in hand, even from the most well intentioned seller. Add the additional costs of making the lens conveniently usable and it doesn't seem like such a good deal after all.

4. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here's a 355 G-Claron with Copal shutter, and from good seller: Item # 260372661881

I'd be bidding on that one if I could.

5. mferrarini

mferrarini Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alex, I'm afraid that item is a Repro-Claron, quite a different animal. Much narrower coverage.

6. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    DUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :confused: :confused: You're right. Never mind!:sad:

7. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The consensus is this isn't a good deal then? I was considering it, but am now rethinking.

8. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It isn't a particularly good deal IMO with a lot of chances for something to escalate costs (haze) or decrease value (Schneideritis). Based on the above figures, even if it were perfect and the glass didn't need cleaning or you did it yourself, and made a paper aperture scale you'd still have $575 in it ($325+$250). If it has Schneideritis you might find it hard to get this for it if you ever wanted to sell. I'd be willing to spend another $75 - $150 to get a clean one with no issues from a known dealer like Quality Camera or Midwest. In general, very clean ones in late black shutters from knowledgeable and reputable people (not implying that the seller isn't) are running about $750 in shutter, and if you shop around you could get one for around $650, as I did. Mine's very near mint but had Nikon caps so I think that's worth a hundred.

My comments were based on my experience with a similar lens that also had haze (besides the Schneideritis).

It may be fine but it sounds like the same batch I was involved with, and looks like it too. I also note that the auction doesn't show the glass which raises alarms to me.

Cheers, Steve

9. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the input. I think I will pass on this one.

10. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made an offer on one while seller had that option, now i am happy he declined :D

Thanks.

11. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd pass too.

You have to be really careful with barrel lenses. Usually you can only justify putting them in shutter (versus buying a used one already in shutter) if they're a direct fit and you have a cheap shutter ready to go, or it's an unusually exotic or expensive lens.

Best case is above, perfect lens, good used chrome ring Copal sitting on your shelf, about $575 with nice ones ready-to-use at $750, savings of $175.

Worst case, haze, Scheideritis, and having to buy a new Copal ($450), with aperture scale (about $25 from Schneider), about $940 for 355 G-Claron with Schneideritis.

A good used black Copal 3 usually goes for around $325-350, so even with that you'd come in at around $815. And the worst case involves a lot of waiting and shipping parts around the country.

BTW, I have a 270mm G-Claron in late black Copal that is perfect but had haze in it when I got it. I shot with it and was underwhelmed. I was going to sell it or trade it, but had a box going to S.K. Grimes, so I thought what the heck, I'll have Adam clean it since I have room in the box. The difference was amazing.

Cheers,

Steve

12. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The G-Clarons are quite easy to disassemble for cleaning. I've done a couple of 150s, a 270, and a 355, all with good results. The SKGrimes wrench is a wonderful tool for this, and paid for itself with the very first lens I cleaned. I wouldn't attempt this with a modern wide-angle lens, as the alignment is more critical.

A couple of years ago I sent a 120mm APO-Symmar to Schneider for cleaning (it had a touch of internal fungus). It was $75 plus shipping both ways.

Schneideritis is, AFAIK, a primarily cosmetic problem. I have no direct experience with it, though.

13. Tri Tran

Tri Tran Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have owned a few and sold a few but now bought it again because I missed her sharpness. It's a wonderful lens for ULF shooters and relatively underprice. Buy it while you can . Mine arrived today in New condition as described NOS. Thanks Mat.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  14. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Just curious is it the normal G-Claron or the Repo Claron?

Thanks for the info!

Gary

15. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This was one of the lenses from the eBay seller?

16. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Another thing: Some G-Claron 355mm's fit in Copal #3 shutters, some fit in Compound #3 shutters. They are different!

I got one for Compound - on purpose, since that was the shutter I had available.

17. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't want a Repo Claron; it's been repossessed!! :wink:

Cheers,

Steve

18. Tri Tran

Tri Tran Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a G Claron as seller stated & marked outside of the box. Both front and back lens fit directly in the new Copal 3 plug and play. The same seller of Exxx link from Mat which I bought it from. Act fast.

19. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Tri
    Nice. So glad you got one.

20. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

355 G Claron

Sorry to hear that Steve looks at this opportunity at barrel lens 355 G Claron's as a risk. I bought one for $225 which was a bargain. It had some problems with it and it was replaced with one that was like new. I gave the original one away and have a friend for life. I got a shutter and had an f stop engraved and mounted and I could not be happier. These lenses in barrel cost big bucks when they were new and are now discontinued. This is a must lens for the LF shooter as they cover more than 12x20 and are fabulous performers.

For the record I feel so strongly about this lens that I now have three of them.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Cheers!