Cheap 4x5 polaroid setup

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EKDobbs, Jul 11, 2012.

1. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking to get a cheap-ish (500-600$ range, lens and back included) 4x5 field/press camera that takes a polaroid back. The polaroid back must be the one that takes the new (still manufactured) 4x5 polaroids.

So far, I'm looking at crown graphics and a horseman 985, but I'm unclear as to exactly what format the 985 is.

2. aterimagery

aterimagery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm assuming you know how much more the 4x5 Fujiroid pack film costs compared to the 4.25x3.25 pack film. Because of that, I'm hoping I can find a "standard size" pack film back for whatever LF camera I end up getting.

3. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    All 4x5 Polaroid film has been discontinued. As soon as the current stock of Fujifilm material runs out, it's gone forever.

4. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I think instant 4x5 film is gone. What a shame.

5. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And i was going to buy a Polaroid back, luckily i didn't.

6. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, my mistake. I was unaware that the cheap ones were 4.25x3.25. That was my intention, however. So, are there any cameras that will accept backs that take this film? (I don't care that it won't cover the whole polaroid).

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for playing around, I use polaroid colorpack cameras I've picked up for $2 at garage sales. also the polaroid EE100 specials are pretty cool. both have built in meters and take AA batteries.

8. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's got a few qualifications:
    It must be a press/folder 4x5 camera.
    It must take the newest (hence, still manufactured by fuji) 4.25x3.25 polaroids.
    It must be under 700$

So that discounts any small polaroids, and anything that takes instant film that is no longer manufactured.

9. aluncrockford

aluncrockford Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A solution would be a 100A or 100B polaroid camera, then adapt a medium format 6x7 mamiya polaroid backto fit I can think of no other option

10. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I've already got an RB67 that will take a polaroid back, but from what I understand, I will create a tiny 6x7 cm square image on the huge 4.25x3.25 polaroid. Is there really no camera that will take the FP 100c series film and use the entire image area?

11. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are two options. First, you can get a 4x5 camera and the Polaroid 405 or Fuji PA-145 back. Both of these take the 3.25"x4.25" film and use the full frame. The backs are hard to find, and when you find one, expect to pay $100-$200 for it.

Your other option is to buy a converted Polaroid 110A. It's not a 4x5, but it is a folder, and will give you full frame on 3.25"x4.25". If you don't need/want to swap lenses, this is an easy way to get good quality and full frame: http://www.polaroidconversions.com/packfilm/

12. chernobylda

chernobylda Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't mean to hijack this thread. But can anyone point me in the direction of the fuji press release stating the end of color 4x5 pack film? I knew black and white was done for last year, but only heard about color yesterday. Such a shame, barley even got to use my 550 holder :/.

13. aterimagery

aterimagery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know much about the back mounts for 4x5 cameras yet, but if I couldn't just buy the back I wanted somewhere then I'd just buy something like the osciliscope camera back that I just bought, or a really cheap packfilm polaroid with poor plastic optics, etc, that I won't feel guilty chopping up, then chop up the back/camera as needed and graft it onto something that can clip to whatever camera I have.

I don't know how well it works as a focusing glass but I recently took an expended packfilm cartridge, took it apart, and taped some tracing paper over the window where the film would be. Then I can just insert it into a camera, leave the back open, and hopefully use it to focus. So even if you just chopped up and duct taped a polaroid holder to a camera, you might be able to open up the back, insert the front frame from an empty pack film cartridge covered with something frosty-like, and not have to take the polaroid back off the thing.