Cheap 6x6 folder with slow shutter speeds for zone plate project

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Tomf2468, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Tomf2468

Tomf2468 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a cheap TLR that I modified with a zone plate replacing the taking lens. Great fun, but the camera doesn't have slow speeds (goes to 1/25 and then bulb). A real handicap with a zone plate, one I "should" have seen before taking the time to build it!!!

I would like something smaller (thus the folder idea) and I want/need 1 second, 1/2 second, 1/4 (or 1/5), 1/8 (or 1/10) etc. I don't want anything too "good" because I'm removing the lens and basically destroying the camera. It seems really rude to do that to a nice Zeiss folder!

Suggestions? I have a Moskva-5 6x9 folder that I really enjoy for lightwieght medium format straight (lens) photography. I might just get another (I'm already comfortable with it). But, a smaller camera would be nice and I really want this project to be "square".

I'm leaving town for Thankgiving with family in a few days. So, please don't feel that I've ignored your suggestions if it take a while for me to respond.

Tom

2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There are some nice Agfa folders with Compur shutters. And some of the Pronto(r) shutters have slow speeds, although many don't.

There also are Voigtlander folders with Compur and Pronto(r) shutters with slow speeds.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any of these, so perhaps this might exceed your budget.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they say a lubitel is perfect for that ..
    and the zone plate fits in perfectly without
    much of a modification ..

have fun !

john

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe a zone plate fitted on a Lubitel would count as an improvement? :D

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :wink:

i just realized the OP wants a folder,
    the trusty lubitel is a TLR :sad:

6. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, what you really need is just a shutter. Any old shutter with slow speeds. You can remove the shutter from your present folder and glue a new shutter on with epoxy...

Prontor shutters w/o lenses from MP4's go for a few dollars. A cheap oscilloscope camera will have a decent shutter, often with something like a 60mm f1.6 lens.

8. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is some info here; it's a series of concentric rings with width and spacing calculated to focus using some diffraction magic. It's one thingy I haven't tried yet. You can sort of think of a pinhole as a one-zone zone plate.

9. Tomf2468

Tomf2468 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    All of the Agfa's I've seen have not had the slower speeds, but I'll keep an eye out for them. $50 (or even a bit more) is well within budget. Thanks.

10. Tomf2468

Tomf2468 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As far as I know, the Lubitel doesn't have slower shutter speeds.

11. Robburrito

Robburrito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know that you will find any "cheap" folders with speeds between 1/25 and B . . . most of the cheapies have very simple shutters.

12. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  13. Tomf2468

Tomf2468 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just a quick follow up for everyone that helped/posted. I have an Agfa Isolette with slow speeds coming from Ebay and a new zone plate coming from Pinhole Resource. Assuming the camera is as advertised, it was a real good deal. I think I ended up paying more for the zone plate than the camera!

Tom