Cheap Film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by milkplus-mesto, Mar 24, 2008.

1. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am looking for an incredibly cheap film, basically, just as cheap as it gets, so I can experiment with colour developing, and was wondering, can anyone get any cheaper than: this

And, does anyone know what this film is a repackaged version of, because i know most jessops products are repackaged versions of other companies' products.

thanks.

2. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah Advantix film how I love you when your cut open and show your rebate!

3. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks, do you know if it comes in the APX type can, or just a normal 35mm?

4. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    that exact emulsion...no idea. but there is some colour 35mm Jessop product yea. It will be a different price though.

5. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

6. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

7. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you have a local Aldi supermarket near you? If so, try two rolls of Kodak VR film at either ISO 200 or 400. In my branch it retails at £1.79 for two which is cheaper than the Jessops APS at £0.97 per roll. It's good film as well.

pentaxuser

9. Richard Harris

Richard Harris Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm with Pentax user. Kodak VR from Aldi. Great stuff. If you want to experiment with film get a 35mm camera. There is precious little choice with APS and partial enlargements are grainy at any of the larger sizes.

10. Ian Tindale

Ian Tindale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Silverprint in Waterloo have ten rolls of Fuji Pro400H for ten quid (dated last July, which is almost nothing). Lidl do a cheap twin pack of Fuji 135 colour film for just about two quid.

11. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not sure if it's worth it for you with shipping to the UK, but the "Aristacolor" house brand from Freestyle is pretty cheap, and comes in 100 ISO, which can be hard to find sometimes. I'm fairly certain it's Ferrania. I got a roll of the 100 ISO with my last order, haven't shot it yet, though.

12. Admbws

Admbws Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I was in Lidl around December time there was short-dated (03/2008, this month) double-packs of 36 exp. Fujicolor Z200 for 49p - under 25p a roll! I grabbed half a dozen. It's actually not too bad. Sadly when I returned next time they had all gone. I wish I had bought more. Maybe other Lidl stores may have some hanging around?

13. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    right, so far i've dug out a couple of rolls of old dixons film, probably the same emulsion as is in the jessops, it's made in the EU, it's ASA 200, so we'll see how it goes.

also, i'll pop down to aldi and get a couple of rolls of that Kodak stuff, and see how i fare whilst i'm away.

thanks.

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, Agfa is coating again .
    (Deduced from them stating to have a new colour emulsion-making facility installled.)

15. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's interesting to see how little diversity there is in terms of manufacture of colour films, from that, i can work out that all of the colour film I own is produced in Ferrina. If there's so little diversity, then why can't E-6 be catered for more easily by one of the plants at least?

16. pauliej

pauliej Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, short or out dated film usually on sale in place to get it moving off the shelves and out the door. These can be great bargains. Is Jessops a camera/photo specialty store, or a pharmacy chain or department store or what? I live in the US, but I was just curious about that as I see it mentioned in here off and on. BTW, what is a quid? Just wondering. Thanks for the help.

Paul

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, as the error goes on:
    Community and company are called Ferrania.

18. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Jessops is (some would say "was" given they are now 99.9% digital) a large chain of photo stores with shop(s) in most town's high street.

A quid = one pound sterling (also see: fiver, tenner, pony, monkey etc :wink: ).

Bob.