Chem bottle top liners

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Monito, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I get back into film and developing/printing, I was given some Falcon ChemStor plastic bottles. The cardboard liners in the caps (with plastic facing) have gone bad.

Is there a commonly available material that I could cut into circles and affix to the caps to make a good seal? (and the right kind of glue) Or should I just screw the lids on and hope they make a tight enough seal?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about jar opening rubbers? The cheap square ones.
    Piece of inner tube?
    vinyl beach ball, swimming pool.....you get the idea.=)

3. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I save the liners from other bottles. I find a lot use what looks like a think piece of closed foam. They seal well and don't fall apart when they get wet. If you cut them the right size, they might stay in on their own, otherwise try a dab of hot glue.

4. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always cut a piece of a lab material called Parafilm and put it over the mouth of the bottle before putting a cap on. This or even wax paper will ensure that there is a tight seal on the bottle and that you will not get any contamination from the liner of the cap. In a lot of cases the cap from the fixer may end up on the developer than can result in the contamination of the developer.

Gord

5. largely

largely Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A couple layers of plastic kitchen wrap (Saran, etc.) works well for me.

Larry

6. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I replaced the card seals in a whole bunch of bottles recently with some neoprene gasket material. It cost me all of about $2 for enough to make around 10 seals. I think they should last a little while as well!

7. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll check the gasket material idea, hoffy; thanks!

In the meantime, it seems that the bare plastic bottle cap without the cardboard does screw all the way down and probably makes a good seal contact with the plastic bottle. I'll give that a try for at least the short run and see how it works.