Chemical Formulas: Distilled Or Deionised Water? Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mahombi, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Mahombi

Mahombi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Chemical formulas for photographic processing and printing, frequently recommend the use of distilled water, whilst deionised and purified water are considered acceptable substitutes. I have found that both distilled and purified water are nigh on impossible to obtain. Whereas deionised water is readily available as car battery top up water.

What I would like to know is, what advantages and/or disadvantages are there, if any, of using one of these types of water over another?

(I don't need to know the difference between each of the three types of water.)

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a recent thread on this very subject with lots of replies and lots of detailed information. It might be helpful to look at that thread.

PE

3. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Fanshaw

Fanshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    An alternative is bottled water intended for drinking, sold by supermarkets. The analysis of the water is given on the bottle and some have very low impurity levels.

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use distilled water after I got a significant amount of calcium carbonate when I mixed one of my developer formulas.