Chemical Importation

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ed Sukach, May 16, 2003.

1. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After some interaction with Tetenal - where I was really impressed with their research and and intoduction of new chemicals and "stuff", I contacted JOBO, their American distributor - for information, especially about obtaining the new "Dry" C-41 and RA-4 processing chemicals. The answer I received from JOBO Sales:

"At this point we don't plan on importing the new dry chemicals. There are packaging/ minimum order concerns."

Yeh.
    Well ... does anyone have any infomation about the feasibility of buying chemicals/ paper/ photographic whatever - from "over there" and shipping to the United States - or would that be prohibitively difficult?

Considering some of the other questions I've seen here - and answered - this ought to be a "piece of cake" (overly simple - for those not familiar with the term).

2. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've carried chemicals both to and from the US in checked and carry on baggage and experienced no problems, obviously the chemicals are in powder form. I would think that shipping the materials you would need is possible but perhaps expensive but if you would like me to find out how costly I'm happy to do so. I'd be happy to purchase the materials you need and ship them for you Ed and you could pay for them with a dollar check for I have a dollar accoung at my bank. Why don't you email me direct to let me know what you may need and I'll get back to you.

3. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Usually getting stuff shipped into the US is much easier than shipping to other countries, there is no tariff for items under 200$. Shipping (air) starts out at about 20 euro from UK or Germany.

4. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Ed,

The website of the German photo import/export mail order firm is worth taking a look at.

www.fotoimpex.de

Good luck

Hans

5. Robert

Robert Member

6. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clogz @ May 16 2003, 02:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The website of the German photo import/export mail order firm is worth taking a look at.

www.fotoimpex.de
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    So they are based in Germany. What does getting **professional** mini-lab chemistry have to do with getting Eastern Europen film, photopapers--- some of which, like the Croation Adox, could be anyway long sourced from Freestyle in Hollywood--- or enlargers (Meopta anyone)? Foto-Impex's focus is photo gear from what used to be Comecon trading block with a pinch of US imports.

The most relevant, to the current interest in the context of that trader, would be Calbe Chemistry, the current successors to the German Democratic Republic's "People's Company" (VEB) OR(iginal) WO(lfen), nationalized from I.G. Farben's (in the west reformed as Agfa, Bayer, BASF and Hoechst, resp. in the US also as GAF) Filmfabrik but it is better sourced directly:
    http://www.calbe-fotochemie.com/

In the US I'd look to Fuji and Kodak for mini-lab chemicals. In the UK I'd add Champion to the list.. and in Australia, Fotospeed....

7. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ed Sukach @ May 16 2003, 03:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Well ... does anyone have any infomation about the feasibility of buying chemicals/ paper/ photographic whatever - from "over there" and shipping to the United States - or would that be prohibitively difficult?
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Product liability and demands for legal representation in the US is a serious problem and a very significant hindrance to selling to the US market (the intent of "Free Trade" in the American language). Jobo USA is dealing with Tetenal chemistry. Cachet is dealing with Maco/Mahn film and papers. Agfa is handled by Agfa..

8. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

9. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Edz, Thanks for your brief history of the German photo industry. However, I think the question was where to get Tetenal minlab chemicals. I looked at page 21 of Fotoimpex's catalogue and lo and behold: (a brief translation) we have the complete assortment of Tetenal products....if you like to order large amounts etc..please ask for an offer.
    Whether they still export to the US is also matter of sending them an e-mail.

Greetings

Hans

10. Robert

Robert Member

The formula for I think all the processes but Agfa Scala are out there. Some body even has a website on mixing your own E6 chemicals. I doubt you'll save money versus buying large amounts of premixed chemicals. Kokak et all buy thier chemicals in large amounts getting prices we can only dream about. In the small packages that get sold to the lowly home user it wouldn't suprise me if the big cost is the packaging. I make up almost all my B&W chemicals but I doubt I save much if any money. Locally I've found a retailer that claims they will sell me the Kodak E-6 5litre single use kit for less then $60 Cdn or not much more then $42US. This is even with the kit being less economic then buying the various Kodak chemicals on thier own. Kodak and the retailer are still making money at this price. It's also so cheap I can't see myself going to the trouble of finding all those chemicals to mix up E6.

11. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for your generous - more than - offers of help. They are much appreciated (!!!) and will not be forgotten.

Right now I am *flooded* with work. My youngest daughter is being married this Saturday, the 24th .... I have a "test" session with a new model tomorrow morning... I'm dealing with the Internal Revenue Service and the State "Corporation" watchers about the non-profit Arts Corporation I happen to be the Presicdent of ... dealing with how to write with proper syntax...
    Trying to "run" our local Town operated Municipal Art Gallery and its "Permanent" exhibit....

Enough whining. I'm *GRATEFUL* for all the offers of help. I'm working on some "involved" answers to questions: "How can an analyzer be used in color printing?";"What is the equivalent number of `pixel-like' characteristics in a medium-format frame?"; "What is the theorectical limit of resolution of a lens (I'm not sure there IS a limit..); The formula for determing "diffraction" characteristics (If memory serves, it involves aperture diameter, wavelength of light and aperture to plane-of-focus - and has very little, if anything, to do with the lens itself); LOTS of comments about ethics an philosophy ... and last, but by no means least ... *HIGH* praise for APUG and its participants.

All I need now is to figure a way to "morph" into something resembling one of those "Eastern" Indian (Hindu?) stautes with twelve arms.

I'm here!! I may not write much in the next few days ... but, "Please don't take my
    Kodachro ... uh ... APUG away!! ..."

12. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ May 18 2003, 05:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The formula for I think all the processes but Agfa Scala are out there. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Scala is out there, more or less, as well.. Scala is just Agfa APX-100 with a clear base and its reversal processing is not much different from the old Tetenal Kit but the Ilford forumla brews--- which are even published on Ilford's site-- will also work fine..