chemical storage containers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Dan Henderson, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I recently started printing 16x20, which of course required larger trays holding larger amounts of chemistry than I was previously set up for. I bought some gallon plastic pitchers at Walmart in which to mix up chemistry, and find they are also much easier, larger, and more stable targets to empty trays into than a funnel and storage jug. Now I'm wondering why I don't just store my fixer, toners, and bleach in the pitchers? They have lids which obviously do not fit as tightly as the jugs and could not use them to store developer, but are other chemicals affected by oxidation as is developer?

Just wondering if anyone else uses pitchers to store chemicals other than developer.

2. Paul Glover

Paul Glover Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm using a Rubbermaid 1 gallon pitcher for my Kodak hardening fixer (mixed from powder). It seals decently enough but I'm under no illusions that it's entirely airtight. So far no problem, I think it's about 2 months since I mixed the stuff and last used it successfully a few days ago.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know HCA eats oxygen like crazy. I would also not store most toners in a lose fitting containers because most brown toners smell of sulfur and the fume can damage emulsions. Selenium toners smell of ammonia. Also not that pleasant.

I can't think of a reason why Fixer will be damaged though. Stop bath also smells although they don't damage anything.

4. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a little sodium sulfite in water rather than HCA. And mix my own thiourea sepia toner that does not have sulfur. I've been experimenting with Se toner in a jug for awhile now and it doesn't stink up the place. And I use water stop.