Chemicals Help

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by morrisphotos123, Sep 19, 2012.

1. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi not sure if you anyone might able to help me but I have just bought some new chemicals to developed my B+W film and paper prints. I was wondering if you might be able to help me sort out how to mix them up for use and what ones to use with the role film and what ones to use with developing paper .The film I am wanting to developed is a Kodak B+W Tmax 100 and the paper I am using is Ilford MGIV RC Multigrade 5x7 and what times I need to use. sorry if I have asked to much

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please give a detailed list of the chemicals you bought.

Most chemicals come with mixing instructions and some notes on how to use them, but I'm sure people here will be able to help if they know what you have.

Michael

3. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The chemicals are all Ilford

Ilford Ilfosol 3
    Ilford Multiade
    Ilford Rapid Fixer
    Ilford Ilfostop

4. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    untie your hands and read the instructions!

5. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All Ilford chemicals come with very good instructions, read them and follow them, but with Multigrade dilute 1/9 for 1 litre 100 ml then add water to litre,for the fixer dilute 1/9 for paper and 1/4 for film. stop and ilfosol follow the very good instructions

6. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The big problem i am having is i dont understand what it means by 1+9 or 1+19

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When mixing chems, remember to clearly label the bottles you are storing the solutions in. Also, mix two seperate batches of fix and stop. Use one bottle of each for film and paper and never use paper chems on film, this avoids debris contamination to film.

The dilutions are just as stated, 1 part stock chem plus 19 parts water for a total of 20 parts. 1 fluid oz chem plus 19 fluid oz water to make 20fluid oz of solution.

8. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    1+9 means to mix 1 part of the concentrate in the bottle with 9 parts of water (for a total of 10 parts) to make a working solution. For example, 100ml + 900ml to make 1000ml (1 liter) of working solution.

1+3, 1+19, etc. are similar: 1 part whatever to 3 or 19 parts water to make a working solution.

I'd recommend that you read up on everything before doing any actual developing. It seems you are not familiar enough with the basics to jump into processing. Take the time you need to be reasonably confident that you know how the process works before trying it out in order to avoid mistakes.
    And, don't hesitate to ask questions here and elsewhere if you need to.

Good luck,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

9. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    so does itmean if it says 1+14 is that 100ml chemical and 1400ml water

10. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, if you want 1500ml of working strength solution, you’d mix 100ml of concentrate + 1400ml of water.

If you want 1000ml of working strength solution you’d mix

1000ml/15 = 66.7ml of concentrate + 933.3ml of water to get 1000ml of solution at 1:14.

11. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would be correct.

If the instructions say "A + B", you take A-parts of stock solution and mix it with B-parts of clean water. You will end up with A+B amount of working solution at the end.

It doesn't really matter what the units of measure are as long as you are consistent throughout. You could use milliliters, ounces or drams. You could even use Dixie cups if you wanted to be so silly. Just be sure that you use the same units of measure for everything and be sure to measure as accurately as you know how.

In your example, you use 1 unit of stock and 14 unit of water to end up with 15 units of working solution: 100 ml. of chemical gets added to 1,400 ml. of water and you will end up with 1,500 ml (1.5 liters) of ready-to-use solution.

If you want to measure in ounces, you would add 1 oz. of stock to 14 oz. of water to get 15 oz. of working solution.

You can run the calculations backward, too. If you need a certain amount of working solution, you can calculate how much stock and how much water you need to make it. Just add the two numbers together and divide.

If you need 1.5 liters of working solution (1,500 ml.) and you know that your recipe calls for "1 + 14", add those numbers together to get 15 then divide that into 1,500 ml. The answer is 100 ml. Therefore, you need 100 ml. of stock. Subtract that from the total amount of solution and you calculate the amount of water needed. (1,500 - 100 = 1,400)

Double check your math. Does 100 + 1,400 = 1,500? Does that match with the numbers called for in the recipe? Yup! You're good to go. :smile:

12. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tips from a relative newbie.

Film developer - mix up what you need (prob 300ml in total for 1 x 35mm film and 500ml for 1 x 120 film, if using standard tanks). use it once and throw it away as you empty the tank. This is "one-shot" and is the way most film developer is used. On the fact sheets for ilford developer they give the quantities for mixing different amounts. For example I use LC29 @ 1:19, which from the ilford chart for 300ml is 15ml of fixer and 285ml of water. (15ml X 1 = 15, 15ml x 19 = 285, so the mix is 1:19 or 1+19 depending how you write it - it means the same) Stop and fixer can be re-used for quite a long time - read up on capacity. I have labels on my bottles and just check off each film and paper I develop with each mix. If you clip the ends off your films before loading the reels, you can use the ends to check your fixer is still working - they go clear. test in new fixer and time, then re-time in old fixer. When the old fixer takes twice as long to clear the film clip as new fixer, throw it away and start again. Paper developer will last about a week mixed up and can be reused (certainly for a newbie). OK you might see a little degradation in quality with paper developer that is getting old. I bought a dozen 500ml plastic bottles from ebay and use these to make up 500ml quantities of stock solution - stop, paper developer, fixer. I use all my fixer at 1:4 and use the same mix for both film and paper. maybe others don't agree with this but it seems to work OK. 500ml is a good quantity to make up as it fills a standard 8x10 tray deep enough to use.

Honestly, the ilford website has all the info you need. If you need any help with the maths, or interpreting the graphs for e.g. time/temperature adjustment just ask.

13. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1+9 means 1 part of stocksolutionplus 9 parts of water.others often call this 1:9, but i find the ilford way of calling this out maes more sense, at least to me.just takw 100ml of your freshly mixed chemical(stock solution)and add 900ml of waterto make 1 liter of working solutionjust as rgould said above

14. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bingo.you've got it!

15. morrisphotos123

morrisphotos123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i am using Ilford Rapid Fixer

Ilford Ilfostop

Ilford Multigrade Paper Developer

I was wondering once mixed up ready for using What ones can i keep mixed up in a bottle ready for nextime just needing warlming up

16. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use STOP BATH until they are exhausted although most people don't. I do. I just pour it back into my working storage container and use it few times. Just a lazy practice of mine. Works fine and don't want to mix it every time.

Paper developers are mixed into stock solution and diluted just before use, called working solution. Once diluted like this, they do not last long. In tray, typically lasts 24 hours. If you cover it with saran wrap, wrap making contact with the liquid, not tight over the lip of tray, they last for few days. They do weaken daily though. Once mixed, they are considered one session use only.

I really suggest you'd download instructions and tech notes from Ilford and read it from cover to cover. Everything you asked are covered in pains taking detail in each of them. That way, you know what's right straight from the manufacturer.