Chemistry in Canada

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by drhee39, Feb 1, 2014.

1. drhee39

drhee39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

I've recently moved to Winnipeg from the states. Does anyone develop their own C41 here in town? Can anyone please recommend a good source for C-41 chems (kodak or otherwise)? Any input is appreciated!

-Dennis

2. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My recommendation would be B&H. They have very reasonable and fast shipping to Canada. I found the Jobo/Tetenal pwer kit works well enugh for what I need - and it can be shipped across boarder.
    I spend some time in Winnipeg, and have not seen a lot of chemicals in the camera stores except, understandably, the very basic B+W ones.
    I bought some film at one of the stores and they were surprised that I shot it, and very surprised I could develop it.
    I read Beau photo in Vancouver ships but have not used them.

3. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Beau Photo in Vancouver is awesome I buy from them all the time.

4. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second Jeff L. I gave up on freestyle a long time ago due to their unreasonable shipping charges. B&H even has the ability to pre pay the taxes and duties.

5. Colin DeWolfe

Colin DeWolfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In Halifax, I order through Henry's. We have 2 local ones here, and they can order in with their normal shipment. No shipping charges.

6. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should compare the prices. Henry's does not give anything away.

7. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with the others. While living in Toronto, Kamloops BC, and in a small town north of Winnipeg, I almost always ordered everything from Freestyle or B&H. Even with shipping and duty, it still usually worked out cheaper than buying in Canada (plus there is usually a greater selection at your disposal.) Things may have changed in the last few years since I've been there, but I doubt it. In any event, it pays to shop around and compare prices (including shipping).

8. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't get me wrong; I prefer to buy in Canada. It's just getting past that bull's-eye on my head as I walk in the store.

9. Colin DeWolfe

Colin DeWolfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mostly for me it's the ability to get things in a couple of days, and not having to pay for shipping. And getting liquids shipped is nearly impossible. And now with the dollar falling, I find the cost differences to be not so great. It's not like I order so much C41 that it makes it worth it to deal with powders and pay for shipping and HST, and quite often, brokerage fees. I get my RA4 from the local lab.

That being said, I AM in the market for a couple of C41 packets to try, and some crystal archive... but, beau photo's pricelist is offline.

10. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  11. amateur_trombonist

amateur_trombonist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check my posting on this very query under "Sticky:List of Color Chemicals and Where to get them". My posting is now down on the 16th page posted on Sept. 15th, 2013. The company I order from is Hi-Tech Service Centre of Mississauga, ON, L4W 1P1. Ph. (905-238-0388).

12. amateur_trombonist

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oops! I just checked the website for Hi-Tech - it looks like they may have discontinued their color chemical supply business since I last ordered from them. Too bad, as they had very good prompt service. I'll continue to check and follow up if I'm successful.

13. amateur_trombonist

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I checked further and found the website address for Hi-Tech. It is as follows: hitechemall.com. As I stated in my posting under the other thread (Sticky:smile:, the website needs some work done to it (even to just find it). I last ordered from them in April '12. Their email address is "fablenatural@gmail.com.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don's Photo is a good local store. There may be others, but we have a Don's here too and they do stock some darkroom stuff at reasonable prices. Alas, the selection is smaller than it once was.

16. drhee39

drhee39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'll check them all out.

Stupid question for anyone who lives in Canada and shoots instant film: anyway to get my hands on some impossible project film without having it be frozen during shipping :confused:

17. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have ordered instant film (Fuji not Impossible) from B&H in the winter and it was fine. Purolator has not left any package outside when I was not there to receive it- so far.

18. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow that hitech place has low prices on C-41 chemicals. Obviously more for labs but has anyone used them for home developing?

I've ordered Impossible from Beau and also directly from the Impossible website. If it can survive the Yukon winter it should be fine in the 'peg. :smile:

19. Colin DeWolfe

Colin DeWolfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow! I didn't know about those guys. Wonder how current those prices are.

20. amateur_trombonist

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've not used hitech's c-41 yet. Last time I developed my own film was probably over 30 years ago.
    Regarding their specs for the ra-4 chems they give a developer working temperature range of 15-38C. I tried the developer once at about 20C, extending the time substantially (can't remember how long). The results were terrible. In fact on the bottles of the components they list a working range of 32-38C. I use 35C with excellent results.

21. akitakita

akitakita Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the first of the 10 litres of C41 i recently got from Hi Tech tonight. Did 10 rolls–they look fine at first glance, though I haven't taken densitometer measurements or anything. I was a bit disappointed to see that the part B blix bottle leaked a bit during shipping, but what do you expect from a place with a website that looks like it's from 1996?

22. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got my chemistry from http://www.argentix.ca/index01.php?=SID they're in Quebec. They have 1l and 2l tetenol/unicolor kits as well as liquid stuff. Pretty good prices too and very fast turn around.

23. WayneStevenson

WayneStevenson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What was their price on their chemistry?

24. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's on their site, but there is no kit. You have to pick and choose what you want.

25. WayneStevenson

WayneStevenson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slick. :smile: Thanks.

26. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I paid $42 with shipping for 1L C-41 kit, they list it as 23.99 which is about what it's going for in the states but I get it in like 3 days. The guys really nice too replied right away to my email questions.