Chiba system

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by MDR, Dec 15, 2011.

1. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone on this site tried the Halvor Bjoerngaard's Chiba System (non toxic alternative to gum and carbon print) and if so how does it results compare to regular gum prints and carbon prints?

Dominik

2. musila

musila Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm sorry, but I can't help yet, but I just wanted to thank you for bring this to my attention. I'm always nervous when I use dichromate processes, for the health reasons. So once I run out of it, probably within the next month, I'll start experimenting with this.

3. Cascam

Cascam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you try yet?

4. musila

musila Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have, but I don't feel like I experimented with it enough to fairly comment on it. But I did notice the colors are truer to the actual watercolor pigments than gum prints, probably from the dichromate stain and unbleached gum I was using. I experimented with the direct gelatin variation. I made a glop more concentrated than I need (6-12% gel) and then I melt it, and dilute/mix (a portion at a time) with a AFC solution and coat it before it sets. Then expose it, and presoak it in a H2O2 solution before developing it with hot water, agitating like you would a carbon transfer print. I took a break from it because of the semester, but I'm going to start again later this week, after final exams. My impression is that the process would be nice for making 3 color prints (I'm hoping anyway).

5. Cascam

Cascam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hello Musila,

sorry I'm not a native english reader, what is the AFC solution?

Casper

6. musila

musila Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's Ammonium Ferric Citrate dissolved in water.

7. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am currently trying to use AFC to make oil pigment prints, and will eventually try to make prints using what Bjoerngaard calls the "direct carbon" method in his Chiba System.

I may possibly take a side journey ( w/ AFC ) into what Andrew O'Neill is doing if it looks like gelatin can be the basis for a gumoil-type print.

I also started an APUG blog for notes about any progress. Please feel free to make any comments in the blog.

8. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ned

I downloaded the Chiba notes and read through them, quite frankly I did not understand the system, I am using pigment gum over palladium (as you know)
    and quite happy with my progress.

I will follow with interest as you move forward.. maybe you will be able to explain the process much more clearly down the road.

Bob

9. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob, if it works I'll try to write a clear "how to".