chocolate polaroids 8x10

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by andrewfrith, Jun 27, 2005.

1. andrewfrith

andrewfrith Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've tried a couple of 8x10 chocolate polaroids recently, using 809 negs on 804 positives...The 2 i've shot so far were metered at 50 ASA and shot at 1/15 and 1/30sec, no filtration and developed on the processor set at 30 secs. Does anyone else have experience with 8x10 chocolates? The 2 i've done so far were a little underexposed but i do like the tone of them. Any pointers, tips, ideas would be appreciated cos they ain't cheap to experiment with :smile: (i did get a bargain on the fresh 809 tho). Would it also work with 803?

-andrew

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tracy Storer has posted about Polaroid chocolate over on the LF forum at lfphoto.info. You might find something there. At $9 a sheet for normal Polaroid, I haven't been bold enough to try chocolate. Can you do anything with the 804 neg and 809 positives afterward?

3. OP
    andrewfrith

andrewfrith Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks David, i'll do a search over there...yeah i shudder to think how expensive tracy's 20x24's must be to shoot but at least polaroid actually makes pre-packaged chocolate 20x24's which saves on the wastage that happens with having to do the mix and match on 8x10. I have'nt tried doing it the other way round yet with whats left over (809 positives and 804 negs). I have been told by someone else who does 8x10 chocolates that it does'nt work and that you dont get anything from them. I will give it an try tho in case something can be salvaged from them that might be useable for an emulsion transfer or lift perhaps.

4. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    okay.... Ill be the token idiot who asks....

whats a chocolate polaroid? Im very curious now

5. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    On 8x10", Polaroid comes in two separate sheets that are combined when you put them in the processor, so if you combine a color neg sheet with a B&W positive sheet, you get a chocolate brown tone image. It's kind of neat, but no one knows what the archival properties are. It's probably a better idea just to tone ordinary B&W Polaroid, and it's certainly less expensive to do so.

6. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, far more prosaic than I imagined. Chocolate Polaroids sounded like some fabulous invention for chocolate lovers, who could eat their Polas after they were processed. Hmmmmm....available in milk, pure or white.

Archival properties:scanning the neg and process it is probably not an option for people involved in Pola processes?

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, the neg is nothing you would want to put on your scanner. Alas, Type 55 hasn't gotten off the ground in 8x10".

8. OP
    andrewfrith

andrewfrith Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    David, what options are there for toning 8x10 B+W polaroid? I'm using 804.

thanks
    -andrew

9. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what about the pos? Can that be digitized without loss of quality?

10. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can scan the positive.

I haven't tried toning Polaroid, but I've seen references to sepia toning with Polaroid, and there are some examples on the Polaroid website of toned Polaroid prints.

11. jsch

jsch Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Look here to see how to work with the Pola negative (OK it's a Fuji instant film):
    http://new55project.blogspot.com/2010/04/blog-post_6525.html

Best,
    Johannes