chocolate polaroids 8x10

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by andrewfrith, Jun 27, 2005.

1. andrewfrith

andrewfrith Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've tried a couple of 8x10 chocolate polaroids recently, using 809 negs on 804 positives...The 2 i've shot so far were metered at 50 ASA and shot at 1/15 and 1/30sec, no filtration and developed on the processor set at 30 secs. Does anyone else have experience with 8x10 chocolates? The 2 i've done so far were a little underexposed but i do like the tone of them. Any pointers, tips, ideas would be appreciated cos they ain't cheap to experiment with :smile: (i did get a bargain on the fresh 809 tho). Would it also work with 803?

-andrew

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tracy Storer has posted about Polaroid chocolate over on the LF forum at lfphoto.info. You might find something there. At $9 a sheet for normal Polaroid, I haven't been bold enough to try chocolate. Can you do anything with the 804 neg and 809 positives afterward?

3. andrewfrith

andrewfrith Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks David, i'll do a search over there...yeah i shudder to think how expensive tracy's 20x24's must be to shoot but at least polaroid actually makes pre-packaged chocolate 20x24's which saves on the wastage that happens with having to do the mix and match on 8x10. I have'nt tried doing it the other way round yet with whats left over (809 positives and 804 negs). I have been told by someone else who does 8x10 chocolates that it does'nt work and that you dont get anything from them. I will give it an try tho in case something can be salvaged from them that might be useable for an emulsion transfer or lift perhaps.

4. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    okay.... Ill be the token idiot who asks....

whats a chocolate polaroid? Im very curious now

5. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    On 8x10", Polaroid comes in two separate sheets that are combined when you put them in the processor, so if you combine a color neg sheet with a B&W positive sheet, you get a chocolate brown tone image. It's kind of neat, but no one knows what the archival properties are. It's probably a better idea just to tone ordinary B&W Polaroid, and it's certainly less expensive to do so.

6. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, far more prosaic than I imagined. Chocolate Polaroids sounded like some fabulous invention for chocolate lovers, who could eat their Polas after they were processed. Hmmmmm....available in milk, pure or white.

Archival properties:scanning the neg and process it is probably not an option for people involved in Pola processes?

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, the neg is nothing you would want to put on your scanner. Alas, Type 55 hasn't gotten off the ground in 8x10".

8. andrewfrith

andrewfrith Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    David, what options are there for toning 8x10 B+W polaroid? I'm using 804.

thanks
    -andrew

9. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what about the pos? Can that be digitized without loss of quality?

10. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can scan the positive.

I haven't tried toning Polaroid, but I've seen references to sepia toning with Polaroid, and there are some examples on the Polaroid website of toned Polaroid prints.

11. jsch

jsch Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Look here to see how to work with the Pola negative (OK it's a Fuji instant film):
    http://new55project.blogspot.com/2010/04/blog-post_6525.html

Best,
    Johannes